6

***

Taehyung drove very slowly, as if he was having an internal conflict whether to keep going or stop and make a sharp U-turn.

I fidgeted with the locket on my neck nervously as the large raindrops fell loudly on the roof of the car. My lower lip had become red and sore from me biting it almost non-stop. It was my habit to do that when I was extremely nervous.

"So how's school?" Taehyung glances at me, breaking the dead silence in the car.

"Fine, I guess. I haven't been able to really focus on it." I mutter. College was the last thing on my mind at that moment. All I could think of was whether we'd find something terrible in Jungkook's apartment or not.

"What about you?" I ask Taehyung, remembering it's only polite to return the courtesy of asking.

"Same." He replies dryly. "I have some exams coming up."

I nod silently as we pull up in front of Jungkook's address. The apartment building wasn't that big, only five floors. Jungkook's apartment was on the 4th one.

We take the elevator in full silence, none of us in the mood of any more of the small talk. We barely make eye contact as we stand there under the flickering lamp. I imagine Taehyung's just as freaked out as me at the moment.

We finally arrive on the 4th floor and I follow my boyfriend's best friend to the foyer. He walks up towards the big wooden door of Jungkook's apartment, stands on his toes and takes out a key that was hidden somehow in a crack on the upper part of the door frame.

Taehyung glances at me with his wide eyes before putting the small metal in the lock, when suddenly the neighboring door opens with a loud noise. We both jump in horror as though we're two burglars caught on the crime scene.

"Oh, dears, did you enjoy your trip abroad?" A soft voice echoes in the corridor and its owner steps out in the antechamber. It was a chubby old lady with round glasses and messy white hair. She had a warm and friendly expression on her face as she looked at us.

It was Mrs. Lee, one of Jungkook's neighbors. She and her husband had no children or grandchildren and so she thought of him as family.

"Trip?" I slip out wryly, my mouth and throat dry.

"Yes, dear. I didn't hear you and your boyfriend come home for quite some time, and I imagine you've maybe traveled somewhere?" Mrs. Lee beams, giving us a bright smile that makes her chubby cheeks even more prominent. "Oh, and you should warn me when you're going to be absent for a long time, Jungkook, I've been worried!"

She knits her eyebrows at Taehyung, jokingly scolding him. He blinks at her, totally lost.

I realize the old lady's sight isn't so clear anymore and she's obviously mistaking Taehyung for Jungkook.