12

flashback

The bright sunlight pierces through my retinas as someone pulls the curtains abruptly, uncovering the sunny weather outside.

"Ouch!" I grunt, immediately reaching with my hand towards my eyes, squinting against the bright daylight. A tall and well-built male silhouette stands right in front of my blurry gaze.

"Jungkook?" I whisper, rubbing my forehead as my vision accommodates. "How long have I slept?"

"Around 10 hours." I hear my boyfriend's voice right next to me, as he hops on the king-size bed next to me, wrapping his arm around my chest, his eyes looking down at me in a soft and loving manner.

"Baby, you're doing it again."

I sit up straighter in the bed and fold my knees in front of my chest, ruining our cuddly position. I clutch my fists, my body suddenly tightens up.

"Again?" I breathe out exasperatedly, my chest suddenly fills with anxiety. "Last night?"

Jungkook nods, throwing a tense glance towards my white-knuckled hands, tightened around my thin legs.

"Yes." He says in a low, stealthy tone. "You were about to go out, put on your coat and everything, had I not woken up and stopped you."

I swallow with great difficulty the lump that has formed in my throat, small droplets of sweat starting to appear on my forehead. I feel the blood leave my face, probably giving me a pale and washed-out look.

Jungkook cups my cheeks, then puts his thumb on my chin, lifting my whole face towards his to look straight into my eyes. His eyes illuminate a warmness that is supposed to comfort me, but I dive deeper into the sea of anxiety.

"Babe, sleepwalking is a serious condition. Maybe you should get it checked up, you know-"

"No." I cut him off, my voice flat and hollow. I don't have a condition. I'm not sick. "This occurred only two or three times when I was a child. The doctors said I'll outgrow it. Maybe it's just- just because of nerves, you know, I have exams coming up and..." My voice flatters and tones down towards the end of my sentence, my alarmed mind not able to finish it.

"I'm sure it won't happen again." I deadpan, trying to hide my horror from these episodes where I did things in my sleep that I had no memory of. No one knew about this, except for Jungkook and my parents. Not even my best friend, Celine.

Jungkook's eyes stay fixated on me, examining my expression. He pinches the root of his nose deep in thought, as if he's trying to solve a very difficult riddle.

"Y/N, I love you so much and I'm worried for you." He whispers softly, giving a sweet peck on my forehead. "You're a full grown adult and you can make your own decisions. Just know I'm here for you no matter what."