7

You were the one I wanted most to stay.

But time could not be kept at bay.

The more it goes, the more it's gone,

The more it takes away.

- Lang Leav

***

Pain.

Pulsating, hammering, disruptive pain in my head is all I can feel while I try to open my eyelids against the daylight.

A bitter taste of dryness in my mouth and throat makes me stretch instinctively my arm towards the direction of my nightstand where I ordinarily keep a glass of water.

The loud thud and the sound of splashing liquid on the floor suggest that I have not succeeded in accomplishing my intention.

Suddenly the door opens and someone enters, landing their footsteps on the floor quietly.

I gather all my willpower to open my eyes wide and see Taehyung, his head tilted to his right, his eyes narrowed at me trying to determine whether I'm asleep or unconscious.

"Hey, are you awake?" he asks softly, his light brown bangs a little shaggy.

I rub my eyes and bop my head into a nod.

"Mhm, I woke up just now." I reply shortly, suppressing the urge to ask him what the heck he's doing in my room.

"You passed out last night," he explains as if he's read my thoughts and sits on my bed. "I don't know if you remember, but you got quite... upset last night," I frown and thank him mentally for avoiding the words mental breakdown, "I didn't know what to do, so I brought you back to your place. But your roommate wasn't at home and I thought that maybe I shouldn't leave you all by yourself in your state."

I gulp loudly and avert my gaze from his piercing brown eyes. I probably looked like an awful mess right now.

"Thank you. I'm really sorry for all the troubles I've caused you." I look at him with an apologetic glare and bury my face into my palms, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"It's no big deal, so please just stop apologizing." Taehyung quickly replies and looks at me reprovingly. "I wish you'd stop saying you're sorry. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to be." He lowers his gaze towards the bed sheets underneath which my tiny body lied and I follow his eyes, a slight redness overcoming on my cheeks.

"Oh, and I crashed on the sofa so don't worry." He utters nonchalantly and I let out a deep sigh. The sofa was extremely uncomfortable yet he stayed there the entire night.

"I'm sor-" I pause when he raises his finger at me to stop talking, reminding me of what he told me seconds ago and I bite my lip. "Thanks. I must've been such a mess last night. I think... my mind burned out."

Taehyung gives me a weak smile.

"It's okay. I don't blame you. It's totally understandable after all you've been through." He shakes his head and then clears his throat before standing up. "Unless you need anything else, I won't overstay my welcome."

I automatically sit up in my bed and grab him by the wrist, surprised by my own actions that my mind didn't seem to command right now.

Taehyung looks as startled as I am at the sudden gesture but doesn't move his hand.

"You don't have to leave," I let out quietly. "You can stay if you want to. I really don't want to be alone right now." I mutter the last words as I look at the ground, unable to meet his gaze.

Taehyung slowly sits back down on the bed and places my hand back at my lap gently. He nibbles on his lower lip pensively and I can see it in his eyes that he's in deep thought.

"Okay," he says at last, his tone close to a whisper. "I don't want you to be alone right now too."

I sigh and give him a little smile.

"Unless you have anything planned for today, in that case, it's-"

"No, I don't." Taehyung interrupts flatly. "It's a Saturday so I have nowhere to be."

I suddenly slap my forehead, a small detail that I had forgotten appearing in my mind.

"It's Saturday?!" I exclaim, raising my voice which only made the headache I had even more violent and I squint my eyes. "Oh, no, I totally forgot. A colleague of mine is having her birthday party the day after tomorrow and I promised Celine that I'll pick the present from both of us. I'm so stupid!" I facepalm so hard that it causes me pain.

Taehyung tilts his head, astonished by my sudden agitation, at looks at his clock.

"It's 1 p.m. so you still have time to do it. I can drive you to the mall if you'd like." He offers cordially and I facepalm myself a second time.

"I've slept till 1 p.m?!"

Taehyung bursts out laughing and a small smirk starts playing on my lips the moment I hear his laughter. It's somehow contagious.

"Yes, you did." He confirms through laughter and then stands up. "So I'm gonna let you get dressed and be in the living room. Come out whenever you're ready." He tells me as I already mentally search around my wardrobe for clean clothes to put on.

Taehyung takes a step towards the door when he steps on a crumbled piece of paper on the floor by my bed. He picks it up, showing it to me with a questioning look in his eyes.

It's the parting letter from Jungkook.

I gulp loudly, the terrible reality reminding me of itself again. Taehyung seems to have guessed what's the thing in his hand by the expression on my face so he carefully puts in on my nightstand.

"That's..." I start, feeling somewhat obliged to give an explanation to the person who's been kind enough to do so much for me, but Taehyung shushes me silently and shakes his head.

"No. You don't need to get into it. Whatever is between you and Jungkook is private. I'll be in the other room." He deadpans and walks quickly to the bedroom door, closing it on the outside.

I sigh, slightly relieved.

author's note:

hey there~ i'm sorry if it seems that the story's moving slow, I just don't want to rush anything! tell me your thoughts, I'd be more than happy to read them :) updating soon! xxx