47

***

***

"You're still up?" Taehyung showed up at the door, taking his jacket off.

"Yeah," I shrugged. "Hey, you got here so quickly. Are you sure you even finished your second drink?" I arched a brow teasingly.

"I didn't want to leave you alone for long," he sighed, plopping down on the bed next to me. "You really got me worried back then at the restaurant. I realized I shouldn't have let you go home, should have gone with you. I felt so guilty," he admitted, his gaze dropping to the floor.

"You don't have to," I rested my hand on his shoulder, massaging it gently. "It was probably my dress. It was really tight and keeping me from breathing freely. I'm alright now, see?"

His eyelids fluttered before he raised his gaze, his deep brown orbs peering at me. "Are you sure it was just that?" he questioned and a sharp sting pierced through my heart. I probably hadn't done a good job concealing my emotions after seeing Hoseok back at the restaurant. Taehyung was very observant, I was sure he had picked up on my reaction.

"Mhm," I gave a small nod.

His eyes traveled to the phone on my bed, its screen still lit up. His eyebrows furrowed. "Were you on the phone with someone?" he asked, causing the blood in my veins to freeze.

"Yes, um," I cleared my throat. "Jungkook called me."

"He did?"

I looked away, avoiding his eyes, and hugged my knees to my chest. "He wanted to know how I, how we've been," I spoke in one breath.

Taehyung took my hand, lightly jerking it to make me look back at him. When my eyes darted to his face, his expression was as blank as ever.

"Was this why you came back home early, so that you could talk with your ex-boyfriend on the phone?" upon the words leaving his mouth, he instantly became dark.

I stared at him slack-jawed. Never before had I heard him speak so harshly at me, let alone look at me this way. A slight wince passed through his face as if he was surprised by his demeanor himself before his expression went back to being stone cold.

"What? No," I breathed out, frantically searching my mind for something to say. "It was an unknown number, I didn't even know it was him before picking up-"

"But you hoped it would be him?" Taehyung cut me off.

"No!" I exclaimed softly, my other hand gravitating towards his face to caress his jaw, but he just withdrew and that's when I felt my heart sink. "He asked if everything's alright with us and we talked about how I've been feeling lately," regret washed over me as soon as the words left my mouth.

"Oh," Taehyung let go of my hand. "So you don't talk to me about it, but you're more than happy to fill him in on your emotional state."

"Taehyung, the words came out wrong. Why are you reacting this way? That's not how it is at all."