36

"Hell is seeing you suffer and not being able to take your pain away."

***

***

author's note: hey guys, i recommend you make sure you've read chapter 35 before proceeding to this one. enjoy :)

***

My eyes slowly opened to what I determined to be an empty concrete box. Concrete floor, concrete walls, concrete everything. An old-fashioned bulb on a bare black cable hung from the ceiling, serving as the only source of light in this pitch-dark hell. A hammering pain started to emerge from the back of my head, as I felt something dampening my hair.

What happened exactly? The last thing I remembered was something cold and wet hitting the back of my skull from behind. Taehyung's horrified expression was the last thing imprinted on my mind. After that, everything had gone completely dark.

I hissed, flashbacks from Taehyung's graduation ceremony played through my memory. Jungkook was there too, silently glaring at us from afar. At me, to be exact. Taehyung hadn't even noticed he was there.

Oh my God, it couldn't be. Did he... did Jungkook attack us?

I started moving my limbs one by one, only to discover that my wrists were tied to something behind me. An overwhelming wave of panic washed over me, my eyes flying wide.

My breath stuck in my throat, my eyes darted to the wall beside me only to recognize Taehyung's body lying on the bare concrete floor, his ruffled almond locks cascading down over his half-lidded eyes. His head hung low over his chest, his breathing ragged and superficial. Yet, he hardly moved. My eyes started watering as I realized he was unconscious.

This can't be true. This must be some kind of a nightmare. It isn't real.

Even with my mind clouded by the crippling fear, I couldn't help but notice a silhouetted figure in the shadowy gloom, a couple of meters in front of me. It was so still, so unmoving that I had to squint my eyes in order to determine whether it was a man or my vision playing games on me.

The silence was shattered by a raspy cutting baritone coming from the figure as it stepped forward heavily.

"Hello, love," he whispered, burning holes into my face with his grey eyes. They reminded me of ashes and smoke, cold and destructive. As if almost all the color had been sucked out of them. He raised his right hand, his pale fingers wrapped around a dark filthy piece of fabric. "Easy now, you don't need to scream. Don't make me regret removing this from your mouth."

Speechless from the panic, I studied him with my eyes wordlessly. It seemed like he was not much older than me. Crow-black bangs falling over his pale forehead, only serving to make him appear more ghostly. His whole body was covered by his black clothes, except for his bare arms where a couple of tattoos showed underneath the sleeves. I swallowed hard when my gaze fell onto the knife on his belt.