Turnabout Unmasked ~ 7 ~ Wood

- March 21st, 9:50AM -
- District Court -
- Prosecutor Lobby no. 2 -

I swung my legs back and forth on the chair and waited for Prosecutor Shield to arrive. Apparently he had gone to 'freshen up' before the trial, something he's never done before. He had been gone for ten minutes and I was starting to get worried.

Da- Chief Prosecutor Bespoke's trial would surely end today, I thought. The video evidence being dug up would reveal the identity of The Black Raven once and for all if everything went according to plan.

Just as I was about to ask a nearby bailiff, Prosecutor Shield entered, holding a coffee cup. I'd never seen him drink coffee before, but I dismissed any nervous thoughts.

"Sorry to leave you alone, kid." He said, smiling at me. "At least I got back before the trial started... Chief Prosecutor Bespoke did tell me that you're still a bit nervous in court."

"I-I'm overcoming it, though-!" I yelled, eager to prove myself. "Standing with someone... really helps."

"At least you haven't got your sister constantly waving at you from the gallery." He chuckled, "She used to wave at me to help calm my nerves when I first started... but I guess she never stopped."

"It's time for you two to head in, now." A voice came from behind us. I turned, and the bailiff, Mistry, was standing there. I tried not to let the fact I jumped in fear show.

Prosecutor Shield nodded and handed him the coffee cup. Mistry looked and, seeing he had drunk it all, smiled. It was an... odd smile. Nor happy or sad. It was... something else. A mixture of bittersweet sorrow.

————-

- March 21st, 10:00PM -
- District Court -
- Courtroom no. 2 -

"Court is now back in session for the trial of Ghastly Bespoke." The Judge announced. "Is everyone ready?"

"The Prosecution is ready!" I announced, hands on my hips. It was the first time in ages that I managed to say something without stuttering!

"The defence is also ready." Chrysalis said, winking at me.

"Due to time constraints associated with Interpol's presence in this case, I suggest we get right down to the main bit of evidence that was found yesterday." Prosecutor Shield glanced towards Stevie, who was shut down for now. "X... the original creator, managed to dig up a recording. It's poor in quality due to the robot's lack of battery, but it's the best we have."

Mistry pushed a TV onto the witness stand and pressed a button as the screen turned on. The video was in black-and-white, but it didn't matter to me.

Mr. Grayson could be seen leaning on a nearby table. The door behind him slowly opened.

"A nearby radio was blasting music at the time..." Prosecutor Shield told the defence, seeing their confused faces at Mr. Grayson's lack of reaction. "... So he wouldn't have heard a door slowly being opened. I'm afraid we don't know what the music was due to the lack of sound, so we couldn't contact the radio station and ask what time the music was being played."

A figure, covered by a cloak, entered the room. I couldn't tell if they were male or female since their features were hidden.

"X told us that the figure is between 5'4 and 5'6, if that helps." Prosecutor Shield smiled, "Judging by the height of everything else in the room."

They produced a short blunt object from their cloak and hit Mr. Grayson over the head with it. Whilst he was unconscious, they hung him from the chandelier with rope they also had on them.

"It looks like it's definitely premeditated, then." Mr. Morix said, sighing. "The killer had every piece of equipment prepared... yet they did it in such a convoluted way."

"Perhaps they wanted to send a message to Interpol." Chrysalis argued. "You know... 'don't mess with me' or something."

The video continued - Ms. Wilde came bursting in and attempted to tackle the figure to the ground. They hit her with the same blunt object, causing her to become dazed. Around this time, Mr. Grayson began to wake up and started to struggle.

Whilst Ms. Wilde reached for her gun, the figure dived at her and moved her arm upwards, wrapping their finger around hers. The gun recognised Ms. Wilde's fingerprint, despite her not wanting to shoot. The figure pulled her finger down as the gun fired at Mr. Grayson, killing him.

"Ooh, we were totally right!" Chrysalis sang, "Bet Q's gonna be angry about this!"

Ms. Wilde struggled, but then the figure pulled out-

Prosecutor Shield covered my eyes. I knew why - my phobia. I could only guess what was happening next.

"Ah... wait!" Mr. Morix yelled out suddenly. "The clock... the clock is visible in the shot! It could tell us the time this all happened!"

Mistry grabbed a nearby remote and pressed some buttons whilst the TV slowly zoomed in on the clock.

"Um... I think it says..." I squinted, "... 4:19? Is that right?" Everyone else nodded.

"Right... so who was there at the time?" Mr. Morix grabbed one of the nearby sheets. "Prosecutor Cruz, Chief Prosecutor Bespoke, Sky... they would've had to go through the entrance and sign in. There's no other way."

"The killer could've been there beforehand." Prosecutor Shield argued, "I'm sure we could ask for the complete day."

"With all of those bits and pieces they were carrying?" Chrysalis frowned, "I'm not being funny, but... someone would've noticed that. They would've had to be in and out quick. Especially with all that blood on the cloak."

"And Ghastly is taller than 5'6, which puts him in the clear." Mr. Morix said happily. "It's a process of elimination, really."

There was a moment of silence. Prosecutor Shield looked like he wanted to say something, so I smiled up at him. I found that helped sometimes...

"Well... I know how tall Prosecutor Cruz is, at least." He began, "He... he's-"

He suddenly jerked forward, hand on his mouth. He looked like he was choking, so I quickly patted his back. I didn't know what was going on... I-I thought he was joking or something-!

Chrysalis gasped as a trickle of blood slid down his face. He was coughing badly, and blood was starting to spew everywhere.

"P-Prosecutor Shield-!" I managed to blurt out, tears in my eyes. I didn't know what to do. No one did.

Mistry rushed towards him and tried to guide him out of the court, but Prosecutor Shield collapsed before he could step two feet.

Screamed echoed throughout the court as Chrysalis ran towards me and gave me a much needed hug.

Please say he's not dead...!

—————————————-

big l
- hatty