73

Aria

"I'm going to shit," Rami tells me quietly with a smile plastered on his face. 

"Oh hush, you've at least been here before," I tell him.

"That's not the point," 

The lights dim and I can practically feel Rami's nerves seeping off as him. But like the actor he is, he hides it well and puts on his confident frontier once more. 

Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg I think have a great opener. They're definitely some of the funniest people I have ever heard and together they make a great duo. I find myself dying off laughter when Jim Carey gets into a tiff with them as he is 'removed' from the film section and asked to sit with the television section. The whole thing was obviously scripted, but done flawlessly. Jim is a talented actor as well. 

The only thing I find myself bothered by is the comment Sandra and Andy make about dad's teeth, and having to dig up his body to find them. I don't necessarily blame them because I don't think hey wrote it - they're just reading a script, but it's uncomfortable. There are so many other things they could have talked about, but why his teeth? And why in that manner? 

Brian puts a hand on my back, knowing how uncomfortable I must be. I take a breath and brush it off. I won't let something like that ruin my night. I'm better than that. 

As we progress through the night, my nerves take a backseat. I forgot how many categories there were. It seems like a lifetime before we get to Best Actor in a Drama Motion Picture. 

I can tell Rami is nervous, so I hold his hand under the table. Lucy was right. His hands are a sweaty wreck. But he squeezes it tight as Julianne Moore speaks. 

"And the Golden Globe goes to.." she says. She opens up the envelope and smiles as she reads the name written on it. "Rami Malek,"

It's as if all the air has been sucked out of the air. I stand up quickly and Rami wraps his arms around my neck. I hug him back.

"Thank you," he whispers in my ear, before he pulls away to hug Graham, Brian and Roger. 

Our table, as well as a couple others, stand up and applaud as Rami walks onto stage. Bohemian Rhapsody plays over the speakers and it's such a surreal experience. We had just found out about this nomination a month ago, and it's crazy how fast time flew. 

I'm so proud of Rami and I find myself getting emotional as the music stops and he accepts his award. The audience's cheers and applause get slightly louder before they calm down. 

"Oh my God," Rami says in the microphone. "Oh, I am beyond moved. My heart is pounding out of my chest right now,"

I can feel Rami's nerves subsiding as he grows more confident in his speech. I sit there in awe the whole time, listening to every word he says. Especially when he talks about 'tackling' the rest of the cast. God I wish they were here. I can't wait to celebrate with them later. 

"I have to thank Graham King and Dennis O'Sullivan. You have been working on this film for over a decade. Thank you man, thank you," Rami continues. "I have to thank Fox, 20th Century, Regency. You believed in us when so few would and I appreciate that so much," Rami pauses and smiles as he thinks. 

He continues to thank his family, specifically his mother, as well as some friends. He throws so many names out there I have trouble keeping up, but then he directs his attention towards the table. 

"I have to thank Queen," he says. I smile. "To you Brian May, to you Roger Taylor, for ensuring that authenticity and inclusivity exists in the music industry and in the world and in all of us. Thank you to you Aria Mercury, for becoming one of my closest friends and allies and for everything you've done for me throughout this process. You might not see it, but Freddie lives through you more than you know and you have inspired me so much in so many ways.

"Lastly, thank you to Freddie Mercury for giving me the joy of a lifetime. I love you so much, you beautiful man. This is for, and because of you gorgeous," 

And with that, Rami bows and walks backstage. My eyes water as I applaud. Rami deserves so much.

I barely have time to recover by the time Nicole Kidman comes on stage to announce Best Motion Picture Drama. I find myself gripping my own hand, feeling lonely without Rami next to me. 

Nicole runs through the nominees again. I've seen most of these movies and they're great honestly. They all deserve to win. 

"And the golden globe goes to..." Nicole says, opening up the letter. "Bohemian Rhapsody," She smiles brightly as the song mixed with cheers fills the room once more. 

I feel a sweat coming on as my nerves scatter everywhere. The first thing I do is hug Brian and Roger, then of course Graham and Jim. 

"Come up," I tell Brian and Rog, who look like they were going to sit down again. They deserve to be up there with us.

The lot of us make our way to the stage. Jim, Graham and I are handed statues. It's cold and a lot heavier than I thought. 

Jim is the first to talk briefly, followed by Graham. I can barely concentrate on his words because I'm filled with so much excitement. I barely even feel Rami's presence as he comes and joins my side. 

When Graham is done speaking, he beckons for me to say a couple of words. I don't have anything prepared, but I move to the microphone to speak in it. 

"Working on this film has been an absolute pleasure," I say. "It's an honor to have been nominated and now to stand up here. I'm ecstatic." I take a breath. "I know I don't have much time but let me just tell you that it has been an absolute pleasure to have worked on this movie alongside such amazing people. I have met some of my best friends and some of the most talented people I know. This film wouldn't be complete without each and every one of them and I stand up here now to represent them all.

"I also wish to tell you how proud Dad would have been. Every step of every day I feel him with me, and I feel him here this moment and I know he could not be more pleased. This is dedicated to him. Thank you all for being a part of his legacy by supporting this movie for both him, and Queen as an entirety as well,"

What happens next is a blur. We're ushered into this celebration room almost as soon as I finish speaking, where we pose for some pictures. At some point, Ben, Gwil, Joe and Lucy join us. 

"I'm so so proud," Ben says, giving me a hug.

"I love you," I blurt out.

Ben rests his forehead on mine. "I love you too," he says. He kisses me on my nose. 

"Aria!" Lucy shouts, coming over after Ben and I pull away. Her arms wrap around my neck. "This is amazing," she breathes. We pull apart.

"I'm living on a cloud," I tell her. I know my eyes are wide from excitement. 

She hugs me again, and I slowly feel other hands engulf us in a group hug. Ben, Joe, Gwil, Rami. They all join us. 

"Fuck the critics," I hear Joe say, causing us to laugh. 

I agree. Fuck the critics. This award goes out to everyone who doubted Bohemian Rhapsody.