39. Too far?

He hesitated, torn between giving in to his feelings for her once again or them staying as they were. Chloe put her hand on his chest and gave him a gentle push. Confusion flashed across his face for a moment as she backed him away. The lift stopped at their floor and the doors opened, she stepped out taking a deep breath with Seb behind her. Walking to the door of their room she waited for him to unlock it. Once they were inside he closed the door, looking at her as she leant against the wall kicking off her shoes. "Didn't you want me to kiss you?" He broke the silence.

"More than anything." She stayed leaning against the wall. "But I couldn't let you."

"What? Why?"

"Because, it was only last night that you wanted to take a step back, remember?"

"Of course I remember, but I find it hard being around you and not being able to touch you or kiss you." He stepped closer to her again, but she put her hand out to stop him. "I made a mistake, I want you back." He admitted.

"I can't." She shook her head.

"What are you saying? That it's over?"

"I can't let you back in again until I've told you about Stephen."

"And we're back to that again." He looked annoyed. "Then why won't you tell me?" He watched as she walked over to the coffee table and picked up her book, pulling a piece of folded up paper from it. She went to his rucksack on the sofa and got out a pen. She said nothing as she returned to him and handed them both to him. "What's this?" He looked confused.

"Open it and see." She walked away and sat on the sofa, waiting for him to go ballistic at the fact he was being made to sign a confidentiality agreement.

"What the fuck is this Chloe?" He walked over to her, waving the piece of paper at her.

"It's something I had to do, and keep doing to protect the reputation of the sport and the team I love!"

"A fucking gagging order?!" He yelled. "What kind of fucked up shit went on?!" He threw the pen and paper at her, she flinched as he did so as if she was bracing herself for more. "Shit." His stomach dropped as she got up quickly, running to the door. "Chloe! I'm sorry!" He went to go to her but he was too late as she opened the door and ran out of the room with bare feet. She hadn't even stopped to put her shoes on. She ran down the corridor and down a flight of stairs, coming to a stop as she realised she didn't know where to go. She left so quick she had no phone and no money on her, and no shoes on her feet.

"Are you alright?" Max Verstappen had been coming up the stairs and had seen her looking very distressed. "You're Seb's girlfriend aren't you?" He reached the landing area she was stood on and stopped in front of her.

"Was Seb's girlfriend. I've just majorly fucked up." She sat down on a step.

"Want to talk about it?" He looked down at her, noticing she had no shoes on.

"We've had a row, I legged it from the room. I can't go back in there." She shook her head.

"Come with me." He offered. "At least give yourselves time to both calm down. You can't sit out here all night."

"Ok, thanks Max."

"I'm sorry I don't know you're name." He suddenly realised he'd invited her back to his room and didn't quite know who she was.

"I'm Chloe." She walked back up the stairs and was relieved that Max"s room was in the opposite direction to Seb's.

"I'm Max, though you know that already." He smiled. "You're Seb's PA too aren't you?" They reached his door and he opened it, letting her step inside.