Chapter 1: In the Beginning

(Our lovely main character above)

The 1980's, the peak of the century. I have been caught up in the bands, alcohol, and drugs but only because I want to fit in. I want on The Strip, I want to be where all the action is.

I first visited there a few years ago in 1980 with my dad; he's a gambler, so he owed money to some casino near Whisky A Go-Go. Before we went back to his apartment, we made a stop at that famous bar. I felt so rebellious going in there, granted that I was 15, going on 16, but I sure didn't look it. I passed right by everyone without a single look of suspicion.

I was offered shots of whisky, lemon drops, jack and coke. I couldn't have any of it, but it felt awesome. That night happened to be a night that one of the bands were playing; it was none other than Motley Crue. I liked their sound, I believe the song I heard is called Live Wire. They sort of reminded me of Led Zepplin, or Kiss, even Ozzy, in a way.

Anyway, they were playing, and something just clicked as I watched their high energy on stage. I was mesmerized. I felt guilty on the inside, being 15 and all, just hitting puberty the year prior. I shouldn't have been there. But, there I was, standing amidst the regulars, watching these sex gods do what they do best; seducing every female in the crowd. The lead singer winked at me, and I almost melted into a puddle right on that dirty floor.

After that night, I begged my dad to take me back again, he agreed, but only for my birthdays. Every year on my birthday after that, I went back. I watched Motley perform, getting winked at by the same lead singer, but never meeting them. I was gutted to find out The Whiskey was temporarily closing in 82', but my dad took me twice that year to make up for me not being able to go this year on my 18th birthday.

Now, in 83', when my dad and I visit for my 18th birthday, we are going to The Rainbow, and I'm not leaving with him. I found a small apartment on the strip, rent is pretty cheap here, given it is a little sleezy, but I like that about it. My mom tried to talk me out of moving here, even my dad did a little, but I couldn't be convinced otherwise; this is what I want. I want to be part of the parties, drinking, sex, I want it all.

I know I can easily get a job and make good money too, even if it's at a strip club. I am damn determined to go to Motley Crue's next tour and finally meet them- it's been too long. I need to find a gig soon though, I only have enough money to last until the end of this month, and I can't go broke. I have to prove myself to my parents, and to the world.

"You ready to head out?" dad asks me from the other side of the bathroom door.

I take another look in the mirror, feeling a little embarrassed at how I'm dressed, my dad will shit himself. I look like a groupie who will fuck any band member who has a dick, but damn, I do look hot as hell.

I walk out, dad, as I assumed, looks a little worried and freaked, but he doesn't say a word to me. We get in his car and he drives a block away from The Rainbow, because we already know there will be no parking in their lot, or outside the building.

I struggle a little walking in my 7 inch heels I secretly bought with my graduation money, as well as this whole outfit, actually. I kind of bought a secret wardrobe for when I would turn 18 and go to clubs. As expected, there is no parking, but when we walk in, Motley Crue isn't the band playing, in fact, they aren't even in sight. But it's opening night, they have to be here, somewhere.

"Hey, Jim, is Motley gonna perform tonight?" I ask the bartender who used to always make me Shirley Temples with just a splash of vodka when we would visit.

He came here temporarily until they re-open.

"Yeah they're on next. I heard they're real fucked up though."