Chapter 9: Time For A Change

*quick note; I want to thank everyone who has read this story, voted on it, commented, even added it to your reading list. It means the world to me, and I am very thankful ❤️ I love writing, and I've really been enjoying writing this story, so seeing all of you enjoying it was well makes me happy :) so thank you all again*

Melody
I pull into the driveway of my dad's house, finally able to lay my head against the steering wheel. I cried the entire drive here. I don't know why I'm lashing out at Nikki; why I hurt him like that. I don't want to be away from him, but I feel like that's my only option right now. It just feels right... Right? I honestly wasn't even supposed to come up here until next weekend. I just have nowhere else to go right now.

I just want to go to my old bedroom and remember what my life was before I moved out. It's late now, though and I don't want to wake dad up. I guess I just have to sleep in my car for the night. I haven't been around to have any keys made yet, and I don't want to seem like a burglar looting for the spare key. I get the blanket that I store in the backseat of my car, recline the seat, and hope it won't be a long night.
——
I'm jolted awake by knocking on my window and the blinding sun shining in my eyes.

"Melody?" I hear my dad say from outside of the car.

I turn around and sit up to open the car door for him. Concern is written all over his face, and for good reason.

"What are you doing here?"

Oh yeah... I didn't get that far. I don't know what I should tell him.

"Uh, I just thought I would come up early as a surprise visit is all." I fake a smile.

"You wouldn't have slept in your car if that was the case... Come on inside, Maria made breakfast; we'll talk about it then."

Oh, she's here... I guess I should have expected that. I get to meet her while I look like a mess. That's just what I am now. I follow dad into the once familiar house, now decorated with ruffles and patterned wallpaper. I cringe at the vase of fake flowers in the kitchen windowsill.

"Oh, Melody, hi, I'm Maria!" A short, Italian woman smiles, and gives me a hug.

She's really pretty, much more my dad's type than my own mom ever was.

"Come in and eat! I made more food for you, and I'm getting ready to set up the guest bedroom for you as well."

"Oh, thank you." I sit down at the table where she has my food.

Dad sits across from me with the serious dad look on his face. I guess they saw me out of the window and talked before dad approached me in my car. I know I'll have to tell him why I came here last night.

"So, talk to me, Rosie." He says.

That's been his nickname for me since I was a little girl. He always told me I was a strong woman like her... Not anymore.

"Well... Nikki and I have been fighting recently. It's really just been me being angry with him, but I can't stop myself," I shift uncomfortably in my seat. "I won't go into details, but something happened that hurt me. He wasn't there... Until the end, anyway, he did try to make it right by me, but only because I upset him. I just can't let it go. I feel like I can't fully trust him now."

"Well, it depends on the situation. If it was justified, I don't blame you; however, you have to try and talk it out with each other like adults. If you really can't trust him, or think he's a bad person, you know you wouldn't be with him. You've talked about that man as if he put the stars in the sky. One bad situation doesn't make the entirety of him bad."

"Yeah... You're right, I know. But, again, I don't know, dad. I was really hurt. He did defend me, but he wasn't there to just protect me from it even happening. I just don't even know if I can talk to Nikki, especially now that I walked out." I sigh.