Chapter 43: Piece of Your Action

My feet finally hit land after the long 11-hour flight that was filled with babies crying, bad airplane food, and waiting nearly 2 hours to ask the stewardess for batteries when my Walkman died. I'm exhausted, but I also feel awake. It would be 5pm in LA right now, but it's currently 1am in London, so maybe that's why. I wish it would have been a nighttime flight, so I could have at least slept for longer than the first 4 hours. I may be able to sleep some when Joe and I get home, or tonight at least. I do feel bad for Joe having to pick me up from the airport this late though. I know he has to be exhausted and would rather be doing anything else but this. I manage to find my luggage, and I begin to look around for Joe, slightly panicking when I don't see him. He could have forgot or decided that he didn't want to get me. "Melody, you looked right past me!" I hear. I turn around and see Joe, my cheek heat from embarrassment. "Oh, I'm sorry, I figured you would have a sign." I say. He holds up a white sign with "Melody" scrawled across it in black marker, and I feel my face heat even more. "It's okay, I probably wasn't holding it high enough. Now, let's get out of here and get to my place." He says with a small smile. I follow him to the entrance, bracing myself for the cold, which is a slap in the face. "I knew it would be cold, but I didn't expect it to be this cold." I say through chattering teeth. "I probably should have warned you." He chuckles. The cold air does feel good on my face where Nikki slapped me earlier, I kind of forgot about it until now. "How was the flight?" He asks. "It was long and boring." "That sucks, did you watch any good movies?" "I watched a couple, but I was too focused in thought to really pay attention." I sigh in relief when we get in the car, the reminisce of hot air warming me up a little. "I assume it has to do with the giant bruise on your face." He asks, cautiously. "Yeah... sort of anyway." I look out the window. "How'd it happen?" "I would rather not say." "I would like for you to tell me, but I guess I won't pry." The rest of the car-ride is silent, not too awkward, but the air is a little tense after that question. I don't want people to dislike Nikki, I don't want them thinking he's a monster or something. I pushed him back, so I obviously deserved what I got, but people won't get it. So, I want to just leave it be, and hope no one actually pries to try and get an answer out of me, which I know Sav will probably definitely do. The silence in the car makes me restless. "Is it weird driving on a different side of the road and car in America?" I ask to make conversation. "Well, yeah, since I grew up here in England. The way you all drive in the states does feel normal though, I think I slightly prefer it. It is still kind of weird since I haven't drove that way as often as I have this way." "Well, I have never drove in England, so I wouldn't know," I slightly chuckle, "Anyway, what have you been up to? How's life? I haven't seen you in a while, and I know a lot has happened." "Yeah a lot has happened since we last conversed on the phone. Rick is doing way better, he's nearly healed, which is really odd for an amputee. He wants to drum still, but we don't have any material for our next album. Things are good besides that bit." He chuckles. "Can we visit Rick sometime while I'm here?" "Yeah, I know he would love that. I'll call him in the morning and ask to see what day would be best for him with all of his family showing up, and our manager and such." "I appreciate it." I smile. The ride is silent until we get to his house, which is just outside the city. It's pretty big for one person, but I won't judge him with all the money they got from Pyromania, not nearly as much as Crue did with SATD, but it's more than I have. Joe grabs my luggage out of the car, and I follow him up inside of the warm, inviting house. We go up to the second story and he shows me to a room with a really comfy looking bed, making me more and more thankful that I don't have to stay in a hotel this week. "Want a tour of the house? We could have some wine too, or would you like to settle in and wait until tomorrow?" "I will never turn down wine or a house tour." I laugh. "That's my kind of woman." He says, I can see the look on his face after it comes out, it was a slip, but I liked hearing him say that. I follow him back down to the door where I can feel some cold air come through the cracks, giving me goosebumps. "Well this is the entryway, it's boring and yeah... not much here, you've already seen this area. But this is the kitchen, this is where the magic happens by yours truly." "You cook?" I ask. "Yes, I really like to cook, surprisingly," he shrugs while getting out two glasses and pouring both of us wine, "Now we can move along to the living room." He walks me across the house, telling me stories that have happened with the guys, and showing me little knick knacks along the way as well. "Now, here is the master bedroom, which is messy, I apologize." "It's okay." I laugh. I walk to the bathroom; my jaw almost drops when I see a glimpse of the master bath. The shower is huge with multiple shower heads. Double vanity sink, a jacuzzi tub even. "Man, I am jealous... don't get me wrong, mine and Nikki's house is very nice, but not this nice." "It's a lot for one person, but it is very, very nice. I am very grateful for it, and there's my bed that feels like a literal cloud, go lay on it." I sit on the bed and almost pass out right there. "Feels amazing, doesn't it?" "Yes, and it just made me realize how tired I am." I chuckle. "Well don't let me keep you up, go get some rest, I have a lot that I would like to show you tomorrow." He smiles. "Okay, I will see you in the morning. Goodnight." I smile back, heading to my room to try and get some sleep.