01 | Fight For Life

Round 1: Foundation

Feb. 13th, 2019

 13th, 2019

If you call am womanAfrican woman no go 'greeShe go say, she go say, "I be lady, oh"She go say, "I be lady, oh"

African woman no go 'gree
She go say, she go say, "I be lady, oh"
She go say, "I be lady, oh"

The song Lady by Fela Kuti plays loudly through a Bluetooth speaker in the small bedroom of a home in the suburb of Arlington, Texas. It's so loud that if you step into the room you would be submerged into the sounds of instruments. You would forget the rest of the 4-bedroom, 1-story house is completely quiet along with the serene neighborhood. Abella sings along carelessly while moving her hips and getting ready.

As a child Abella had an opposite reaction to this type of music. Her father played it so much she found it annoying. Now as an adult, Fela Kuti is one of her favorite artist who inspires her own music.

It's a normal Wednesday afternoon and most people are just now getting off from work. That's a little different for Abella who doesn't work a regular 9 to 5. Sometimes she wonders what life would be like if she did. Abella has a degree in English with a concentration in Education, so the original plan was to be a high school teacher. That was until music fell into her lap years ago.

Standing in her old bedroom at her parent's house she felt normal, but to everyone else she was far from that. Abella lived in this house her entire childhood and adolescence. This is the one place that brings her back down to earth despite all of her accomplishments at 24 years old.

Outside of the white wooden door she's a singer with a slew of awards and hit songs going by the stage name Béla (bai-la). Out there she wears the titles of singer, songwriter, dancer, and producer. An all around performer and entertainer. Within these walls she's just a regular woman.

Abella looks at herself in the full-length mirror that hangs from the closet door after getting dressed. She stands at 5'9" making her an intimidating woman to some. As a kid she was insecure about her height because she was always taller than the boys. Her height was also paired with being incredibly skinny, but now she has filled out as a woman. Her shape was on full display in a Black long sleeve bodycon dress that goes to her knees with a pair of Tory Burch slide-on sandals.