03 | Hellos & Goodbyes

Round 1

Feb. 21st, 2019

 21st, 2019

It's 7 o'clock in the morning and instead of Anthony being in a hotel bed, he's being interviewed by the Breakfast Club

It's 7 o'clock in the morning and instead of Anthony being in a hotel bed, he's being interviewed by the Breakfast Club. This whole week in New York City has been about press to promote his fight in June. The interviews are a way to put a face to a name for those not familiar with him in the U.S. Talking about the same thing gets tiring. Every interview they're asking about Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury, and now they added Béla to the list.

After half the interview being spent on talking about Deontay Wilder, Charlemagne finally asks about something else... "What about the ladies?" It isn't the question Anthony's looking for, but it'll do.

"I'm not trying to settle down right now. I don't wanna lead any woman on. I'm focused. I'm hustling hard."

"Got damn," Charlemagne says knowing exactly what that means. That means there isn't any woman getting a title or serious relationship out of him.

"Everything I do has a sacrifice on my family. If I can't even spend time with my Mum, my son, and my niece.. How am I now gonna spend time with this woman I met after 29 years of my life and now she becomes the most important thing? She has to fit into everything I've been building then we can have a conversation. My main priority is my family and my work."

It came off harsh but it's the truth. He hasn't met a woman yet who understands that. Nowadays women are so clingy and want all your attention. Maybe it's selfishness on both ends. Maybe Anthony is too selfish to be in a committed relationship. And maybe these women are too selfish to think they'll be prioritized over his long list of what he deems more important. It's a matter of compromise.

"You just just need to find a woman who has as much going for herself as you," DJ Envy suggests.

"Maybe. I would like to say I want unconditional love, but also a relationship is a political decision. You have to find the right one when you're talking about marriage and having kids. I'm logical with every move I make. It's easy to fall for lust and temptation."