45 | Draw The Line

Round 4

November 17th, 2019

Abella's hotel suite is hustle and bustle as about ten people come in and out

Abella's hotel suite is hustle and bustle as about ten people come in and out. She's currently in Las Vegas, Nevada where she'll perform at the Soul Train Awards and is also nominated.

"Where do you want these?" A man with a bouquet of flowers asks making Abella look up from her phone. She points as she sits at a setup they created to do her hair and makeup.

She glances at Bianca who steams her gown for the red carpet while her dress for the performance hangs right next to it. Both dresses are giving 70's glamour in emerald green glory. Her eyes then travel to her brother, Odera, who's getting his hair cut.

Abella was honestly surprised when they asked her to perform. Throughout her career their have been a lot of critics complaining about her discography lacking Soul and R&B. They've seen her cover other artist's songs displaying she has the voice and range for it, but nothing original.

She can admit her most popular songs don't show her vocal capabilities to the fullest. That's partly her fault for letting her label push those songs.

Her first album was Pop and her second was African. This year she put out more ballads with Try Me, the alternate version of Heavyweight, and Drowning. That's not enough to people.

She knows she doesn't have that many Soul records, so she thought she would take this performance and turn it into an opportunity for her brother. Odera's first EP comes out in a matter of weeks and she couldn't be prouder. His music has more of a 70's soul and funk sound, so it's perfect for this show.

"You ready?" Abella asks across the room making Odee shift his eyes towards at her.

"No, but I'll get ready. I'm worried about leading vocally," he sighs. She knows he's used to playing his instruments on stage and not worrying about anything else.

"It'll be fine. I'll be there to back you up. Don't worry," she assures him.

Abella checks her phone seeing a notification from Instagram saying she has a dm from Jermell. Her eyebrows immediately contort. She could've swore she blocked him on everything, but apparently she only unfollowed him on IG.