23 | The Test

Round 2

June 28th, 2019

When Abella was originally asked to perform at the pre-show for the BET Awards she turned it down initially

When Abella was originally asked to perform at the pre-show for the BET Awards she turned it down initially. She didn't think it would be worth it to fly all the way back to America from touring in Europe. It would put her tour on pause and take away time that can be used for a tour date. Then they asked her to perform on the main stage, which would be her first time doing so. Now she found herself in Los Angeles, California getting ready for the awards.

She can admit she hasn't really watched the BET Awards or BET as a whole in years, but she still feels like there's some type of value in a channel catering to Black people. It seems people find more stock and importance in the award shows that tend to give the awards to the White people. This doesn't mean Abella doesn't want to win at least one Grammy in her career.

She's nominated for three awards tonight and she doesn't think she'll win, so that's another reason she planned on not attending. You wouldn't either if you're name's put up against people like Beyoncé or Drake who win every time. Despite that you take every opportunity you're given for people to see you perform, especially on national tv.

Holding her publicists hand she walks down the steps of her trailer planting her feet wearing gold heels on the concrete ground. She's about to do another thing she hates about award shows...red carpets. You know how much pressure it is to get a good shot within a couple of seconds.

Nobody has sympathy when the pictures turn out shit and you look a hot mess. Then everybody critiques every little thing about you from your edges to your toes.

"Bitch, I'm out here breathing like Darth Vader with this thing on," Abella jokes before breathing deeply like the villain from Star Wars making Tamara laugh.

"I don't know how you think people are going to recognize you with that on your face."

"That's the point. Maybe nobody will talk to me or bother me." She pauses. "Where's my brother?" She asks seeing him standing there waiting already in an outfit that compliments hers, but doesn't compete.