Eight

"Please-" He panted lightly. "Don't take a step further." She barely heard him over the crashing waves underneath her, she was frozen. If she went forward, death was likely to be inevitable... but if she went back to him it was the same outcome. She took another step, her toes hanging off the edge of the cliff now. "Please-"

A large gust of wind came across, the trees rustling behind them and she was thrown off balance slightly. Her eyes widened in fright as she stumbled forward and she screamed. She screamed despite the small amount of rawness she still had in her throat, she screamed out because this wasn't how she wanted to die-

Her scream was cut short by her sweater being grabbed and her knees hitting the cliff face. She looked up and saw the Tokki lent over the edge of the cliff with a grip on her sweater.

"Give me your hand." He grumbled, his voice strained.

"N-No! You'll just kill me anyway."

"I won't. Just hurry up and give me your hand."

In the light, only for a brief second, she had seen his eyes in the holes of the mask and they had seemed so human. His eyes had been wide with fear for the first time in many years and she was mesmerized by them. Tokki however, was straining to bring her back up. For the first time in a long time, he hadn't wanted someone to die. But he had wanted them to live - unfortunately this one person he had wanted to live wasn't co-operating.

He jumped slightly when a hand gripped his wrist and he looked down and saw the thin girl gripping onto him.

"I need you to try and pull yourself up with the other hand." He spoke softly, gritting his teeth. If she didn't try and relieve the imbalance over the cliff, they would surely both tumble over-

She pulled herself up slightly with her other hand and it was enough for Tokki to do something more than let her dangle. He pushed himself to his limits as he pulled her up inch by inch and pulled himself back.

He let out a sigh of relief when the girl was finally back on solid ground. He didn't even know why he had saved her, his job was to kill. He shook his head and she stood there, still frozen in shock.

"Let's get back to the car." He mumbled softly. Her head snapped up towards him and she nodded softly. He didn't care if they stood out on the cliff all day to be fair, he just needed to understand why he saved her.