0•Prologue

7 Years Earlier

7 Years Earlier...

"Sweetheart sit tight, shouldn't be much longer." A woman seated behind the desk expressed to me in between phone calls. I couldn't say anything. My mouth wouldn't move. My face did soften a little to at the very least acknowledge her comfort.

My palms were sweaty and hot. And it was as if there were ants in my pants. I could not be still. For one I was nervous about my brothers reaction to seeing me, like this.

It didn't help that I was freezing my butt off in only a Care Bear t-shirt and severely worn blue jeans.

In an all too familiar group home, I sat impatiently in the lobby near a tall floor-to-ceiling window. I waited for his arrival. He was supposed to be coming with a grandmother of ours, whom I'd never met.

My brother and I had been separated long enough. I was ten years old, and my brother was sixteen. We've been in the system for six years. You'd think we'd become estranged.

When it's all you know, you do everything you can to hold on. We were able to phone and write letters here and there. But it never felt good enough. However, I saw Mikey a few times over the years. But it took a lot of help from many people and much sacrifice.

God I'm not sure of who you are, but I am curious. I want to believe in you but my reality and circumstances leads one to believe differently. How can you allow these things to happen to me? I tried to be good. I really did. It seems like all I have are bad memories.

"Rai...! Rai lets go! I'm taking you to pack your shit!" My now almost six feet tall brother stormed in, breaking my thought. He didn't spot me right away but I knew it was him the moment he aggressively propelled through the doors. "I'm right here Mikey." I mumbled faintly. He rushed over then abruptly slowed down as he gained closer to all of my bruises.

The look on his face shook me to my core. His usual tanned skin turned white as snow. Had I not already seen myself his expression alone would've told how bad it was.

I immediately desired the thought of disappearing. It was as if he was trying his best to refrain from panicking, but he was panicking. I didn't know how to react. I was embarrassed and mortified.

Next thing I knew Mikey was standing in front of me. He then released air from his chest before leaning down and pulling me up towards him. I was engulfed in one of the tightest hugs ever. No matter of the fact that my arm was in a sling. I didn't care though, my brother found me.

He finally emitted a piercing grunting sob. All I could do was hold on to him as tears flowed.

"Come on, I'm getting you out of here, I don't know if they told you but I found grandma. She got everything straightened out-." He pulled away from me. I cut him off by stating that I already knew.