37•Back Home

I called my mother, she picked up on the second ring

I called my mother, she picked up on the second ring. "Hello."

"Hey Dri, you made it back safe?" She sounded a little better than she did before I left. That lightened my mood a little bit. "Yes ma'am I'm actually on my way over to you. Just called to see if you were home."

"Yes, I'm home." She simply said. "Ok I'll see you when I get there."

"Ok baby." She ended the call. I had already called Raina as soon as I landed. I was missing her already. Damn.

I decided not to return my dad's call. I didn't want to talk to him over the phone. I needed to face him so I thought a text would suffice.

2:21pm
Me: I'm back in town where can we meet to talk?

I tossed my phone in the passenger seat and pulled out of the airport parking lot. The drive over I was thinking about him cheating on my mama. I started getting pissed off all over again.

Pulling up to the house my phone buzzed. It was dad responding.

2:53pm
Pops: I'm on my way to the house. We can talk there. You have time to stop by now?

2:54pm
Me: I'm here now. I just pulled up.

2:54pm
Pops: Ok.

I went to the door and walked inside looking around, everything was quiet and spotless. "Mama where you at?"

"Mama?" I was a little louder walking in further. "I'm right here Dri. I'm in the study." Her little voice called out. When I got to her she was in a chair by the lamp reading a book.

"What are you up to?" I smiled at her

"What are you up to?" I smiled at her. "Nothing much just doing a little reading." She looked at me then turned a page. She was reading a woman's daily devotion book.

"You went to church today?" I asked. "No, I decided to stay home this Sunday." She kept her eyes on the book.

"Did you catch it live. I wasn't able to?" I studied her trying to figure out how to navigate the conversation. This was new territory. My mother's a strong, loving and caring person. I've never seen this woman heartbroken or anything close to it. She's always taking care of others and does it with a smile. So trying to find a way to be there for her without being too pushy was not an easy feat.