9•I'm Not Quitting II

I was fuming

I was fuming. Just like that, we're done. He just proved my point. Call me selfish. I don't care. I will never depend on a man for anything. At the end of the day, it's still my son and me.

A few hours went by and I had just finished helping KJ get washed up and ready for bed. We were reading the Harry Potter series. He fell asleep shortly after two chapters. I went to clean up the kitchen and get myself ready for bed. I made a note to call my boss in the morning about staying on permanently. 

After settling down and getting ready to shower, I heard a knock at the door. I wasn't sure who it could have been at that hour. So I took it upon myself to grab my bat. I looked through the peephole. It was Raina and Michael.

I put my bat down then slowly unlocked the door dreading his conversation.

"Hi." Rai greeted. I was a little shock to see them. I was all set to get in the shower and go to bed. I really didn't feel like arguing with him anymore. "Hey Raina."I mumbled.

"Y'all need to talk. I'm going to the guest room. Let me know when you're done." She said to both of us.
I stared at Michael. He had his head down to his shoes. I couldn't really see him.

There was an awkward silence. At that point I was ready to get in the shower. "I don't have anything to say. You might be wasting you-" I started but stopped once he looked up. I saw he had been crying. His face was red and puffy.

He shook his head tugging at his beard. I noticed his chest deflated as a tear rolled down his face. He quickly wiped it. "I'm sorry." I barely made out what he said. His voice shook. "I don't lose you and KJ." He added while clearing his throat.

"—So I'll just head to the guest room now," Raina ducked walking between u. She rushed down the hall.

"We can't keep doing this," I folded my arms. I did everything to hold back from crying myself. "I know." He nodded roughly running his hand down his face.

"I'm not quitting the club." A tear rolled. I wiped it, then rubbed my hands against my jeans. "I need this, just like how you're willing to break up. I can't depend on that."

"I'm not Khalil." He looked into my eyes. "I know you're not, but KJ's not your responsibility either. He's mine." I held his gaze.

"Leah, honestly when you say shit like that it pisses me off." His volume heightened. "I'm the closest father figure he has. You can't discredit that. I'm in his life. You keep throwing that shit in my face." He added.

"I'm not trying to-" I tried to explain, he interjected. "I cut his hair every week. I taught him how to tie his shoes. I read to him. I'm there at his therapy sessions. His first word was my fucking name!" He yelled which made me wince a little.

"You say all that but you get to leave. I don't get to do that! Like I said he's my responsibility." I countered back. He exhaled and interlocked his fingers on top of his head. "I'm not leaving KJ. And I'm not leaving you. What do you want me to do to prove to you that I'm here for good?"