32•Howard

Still in shock, Adrian was the last person I thought would be there

Still in shock, Adrian was the last person I thought would be there. He looked so good though. I missed that feeling I felt when his presence was near. It had been a while since I seen him. A little over a year actually. The last time I saw him was in January of last year a week before graduation.  

My brother and I were still distant and at this point it's definitely not about just the breakup. It was pride, and me tired of being the victim in his life. That was keeping me from him.

I flew out to surprise Leah. She told me they were having an engagement party. I told her I would try but I didn't know if I was able to make it or not. I ended up booking my flight shortly after I hung up with her.

Life was crazy but in a good way. I met new people and I've been out dating. Sienna and I visited each other often. She was still clowning. Her and Trey went to Tennessee for the weekend to spend time with his family. They were both currently enrolled in the same school back in Atlanta. Of course, Treys a year ahead of her.

I stayed home for the weekend then flew back to DC. I literally only said three words to my brother. He worked up the courage to ask me how was school and I said it's going ok.

I was sitting on my bed in my dorm doing some editing on a paper I had to turn in the next day

I was sitting on my bed in my dorm doing some editing on a paper I had to turn in the next day. I heard a knock at the door. I smiled already knowing who it could be.

"What's up with you all cooped up in this room? I've been calling you." He said as I closed the door behind him.

"Oh my phone is silently charging, I didn't hear it vibrating

"Oh my phone is silently charging, I didn't hear it vibrating."

"What time did you get in, I would've picked you up from the airport? Had you called me." He smiled at me.

"Aaron I told you I had it." I smiled back weakly. "Un un what's that look?" He squinted.

"What look? You're reaching." I played clueless.

"Like you done fucked up a bag. What happened?"

"First of all I grind all day for my shit, nothing or nobody will ever stop my bag." I said trying to be gangsta.

"Bitch, now who's reaching? Now tell me what's going on?"

I looked at him smiling and gestured for him to sit on my bed. "I saw Adrian." His eyes grew. He took a seat on the bed. "Oh shit, what happened? What did you say?"

I giggled. "Nothing happened. I saw him and that was it."

"You mean to tell me a whole year went by and neither of you have shit to say. As much as you talk about him, I feel like I dated his ass."

I sighed. "I froze. He left when he saw me."

"That mean he can't handle being around you. You sure you didn't give him any?" He peered at me up and down. I laughed. "No I didn't give it up. Shoot we didn't even going on a date or anything."

"I don't understand why y'all can't get back together?" Aaron groaned. I told him about my little love story and lets just say he's invested.

"I'm focused on school and I'm pretty sure he's moved on by now." I was saddened at the thought.

"Anyway, —did you talk to your brother while you were home?"

"Not really." My eyes fell.

"Y'all are dragging it now. Just letting precious time go by" He swayed his hand back and forth. "He need to realize I'm not some fragile little girl in need of coddling all the time." I told him. 

"Maybe he does realize that now. You will never know unless you talk. I remember you telling me about how y'all was all you had and you had each other's back. Is that not worth fighting for? I would love to have that support from my family." He said genuinely and I nodded.

"All you did was love that man. That man just so happen to be your brothers best friend, who's a little older than you. You're grown now." He hunched his shoulders as if it simple. I just continued to listen.

"At least you didn't get the gift of being gay. Apparently that will distance you from your family too." He rolled his eyes annoyed. He was definitely projecting but I understood what he meant by it.

"You know you'll always have me, and whoever has a problem screw them." I softly smiled.

"You know I'm not stressing it sis'. It is what it is at this point and Jared ain't going anywhere." He shrugged his shoulders. "With his fine ass."

"He has class tonight?" I asked.

"Yeah, but it's almost over so I better get going. We're going out for dinner." He did a little shoulder dance. I playfully rolled my eyes. "Must be nice."

"Awe Rai you can tag along. I'm sure he won't mind. At least you'll only be with us this time." He snickered.

"Get the hell out." I pushed him. We shared a laugh. He was referring to a double date I had with them, that went all the way wrong. Somehow I brought up Adrian and I couldn't stop talking about him. It was an accident. I didn't realize it in the moment. When they brought up their first kiss I started talking about mine. When they brought up how they met. I talked about how we met. It was never ending and I felt so bad by the end of the night.

"Bye love." He said while bringing me in to a hug. "Call me tomorrow." 
I let him out and locked the door.

My roommate was staying at her friends place so she wouldn't be back until the next day.

It's funny how I met Aaron. I actually pursued him. I thought he was nice so I asked him out. That was me trying to start over and be bold. He said yes. Then when we were on our date he then confessed that he was gay. Which really didn't help me with gaining my confidence back. We went back and forth with why he wasted my time and him saying I seem like a good person. So the night ended with me genuinely getting to know him. Which was our start, he met Sienna and we all hang out when we can.

I was grateful for Aaron because honestly before him I was a lone star at Howard. It was good to have a friend from the same university. Although my roommate was cool but we only saw each other mostly in the dorm.

Oh well back to editing my paper, and here I thought college was supposed to be fun. Maybe I'm the cause of that. Oh well that's life as I know it to be. I'm comfortable with it I guess. I thought to myself.

{New Photo Alert: Darryl Stephens}
{Song: "Impossible" By Shontelle}

{Sienna and Rai are growing up! Both now in college}

{I really appreciate the reads man for real}

✌🏾✌🏾🖤🖤🖤