Pt 1:

A/n: These first few parts are the first things I have ever written.  Some things may be cringey and I may go back and forth between different points of view. But bear with me. I'm writing this note after writing 58 parts giver or take, it does get better. So please enjoy and remember the story gets better as it goes! (I'm slowly replacing some of these with their revised versions.)

 You wake up gasping for breath, you feel like you're drowning. You look around, no water, you're fine. You're in a metal cage that's soaring upwards at what seems impossible speeds yet never stopping. Fear wells up inside of you, growing every second. It's dark and you can barely make out your surroundings, there are boxes and crates, maybe a few tools. None of it makes sense to you. Everything seems so familiar, yet completely foreign. You look up through the metal grated roof and see a red light approaching at startling speeds. Beyond the light is a flat surface. You're going to crash. You let out one long desperate scream, "Help me!!!!" You're surprised at your own voice, once again it's familiar, you know it's yours, but it feels as if it belongs to someone else. The rising box comes to a sudden and complete stop, jerking you to the ground. The flat surface turns out to be a hatch, as it opens you have to cover your eyes as blinding daylight spills over your face. You hear a thud to your left, you leave your eyes hidden behind your hands. "It's a girl." Says a boy's voice with a rich deep accent. He sounds confused like he's never seen a girl before. Cautiously you move your hands from your eyes. The boy is tall, he has messy caramel colored hair that practically shines in the sun. He's looking at you with curious, deep brown eyes. You look up, surrounding your box is a quite large crowd of all boys who look worse for wear. You panic. "Where am I? Who are you?!" The boy's face immediately changes from confusion to kindness. "Hey, it's ok, calm down. Let me help you up and I can explain everything." It sounds like he's said this many times before, and he takes a soft step closer to you. "Don't you take one more step closer to me... I.. I'll fight you if I have to." You try to sound strong but your voice tremors and the boys around start to laugh, causing your face to turn bright red. "Hey! Knock it off!" The boy shouts to them, effectively making most of them stop. He looks back to you with soft sweet eyes, "Calm down, it's ok, completely normal to feel scared. But I can help you alright?" You nod, "Ok, explain first, then I'll decide if I trust you or not." The boy smiles. He tells you his name, Newt, then proceeds to tell you all about the Glade. "If you let me help you up, I can show you around." He has such a sweet face, you nod and accept his outstretched hand. That wasn't too bloody bad now was it?" You give a soft laugh and shake your head as he begins to show you around your new home.

 As you follow Newt around the Glade, you can't help but notice just how sweet and nice he is. You've only met a few of the other Gladers but you already know he's the nicest of them all. You wonder how, if everything he's telling you is true, he can be so positive and cheery. However he manages it, you know you admire it. Once you finish the tour, Newt brings you to the eating area outside the kitchen. It's getting dark and something called the bonfire is about to begin. You remember something Newt said about it being in your honor since you're the new 'Greenie'. Although your main concern is food, you just now realize that you are really hungry. You take a bowl of stew from the boy called Fry Pan and after your first bite you exclaim, "This food is amazing!" Newt smiles at you saying, "Glad you like it now because when you get tired of it..." He trails off as Fry Pan gives him a dirty look. "See if you can cook somethin' better ya little shank" Newt laughs and holds up his hands in surrender, but you look at the both of them in confusion. "Shank? What does that mean?" "Well..." Newt responds, "There isn't really a meaning, it just..." He trails off. Your face has just gone starch white, a noise like an inhuman scream filled your ears from somewhere outside the walls. "What's wrong?" He asks. "What was that sound?" "Ah, that'll be the Grievers," Newt replies. "Grievers?" "Yeah, they're the nasty little buggers that hang out in the maze at night... Well mostly at night." Your head is spinning. After the doors shut, you thought that would be the end of the excitement for today, obviously you were wrong. "Newt..." You start cautiously, "What exactly is behind those walls?" Newt is silent for a second, contemplating telling you. "The maze" he finally says. You aren't sure you heard that right. That can't be right. "Maze? What kind of maze?" "The kind that we've been trying to get out of for a little over three years." Your face quickly turns whiter than previously known possible. All the noises around you go fuzzy, you go deep into thought, yet you're not thinking t all. You vaguely sense that Newt has grabbed your shoulders, and is trying to say something to you. A voice asks, "Should we take her to the Med-jacks?" Another voice, "I suppose so." You feel someone gently pick you up and carry you off to who knows where.