What happened?

When you get to the camp, you start sneaking your way to your room, you really don't want to get lectured. You flatten yourself against the wall as a group passes by, and your heart rate starts to rise. Although this isn't one of the many life or death experiences you've had before, it's still quite exhilarating. You peer around the corner of a building, waiting for the coast to be clear so you can make a mad dash for your room. Just as you're about to run, someone covers your eyes, you try to scream but your mouth has been covered too. Your unknown attacker pulls you into the dark building and shuts the door. If you thought your heart rate had risen before, it didn't compare to right now. Just as your eyes begin to adjust to the darkness, the lights are turned on, temporarily blinding you. You cover your eyes until they adjust once more. You then let out a sigh of relief as your eyes land on Newt. "Newt, what on earth was that!?" "I wanted to talk to you. I didn't scare you did I?" He responds, trying not to laugh. You roll your eyes and playfully smack his arm. You stand there for a minute, not sure what to say, but Newt saves you the trouble by saying, "Where did you go last night? I was so worried about you. I looked through the entire camp, every inch of it. Twice." "I needed some time to think, and you needed some time to calm down." At your words, Newt's face changed from playful to apologetic. "I'm sorry I slammed the door in your face." He says sheepishly. "Yeah, that wasn't cool. But it's ok." For the first time, you look around at your surroundings, you're in the food storage building. "I want to talk to you, but maybe somewhere else?" You say reaching out to take Newts hand. He accepts it and you run to your room, luckily no one saw. Your room is small, but it's more than you've ever had. You sit on your bed and Newt sits next to you with a sigh. "So what happened?" You finally ask. Newt then explains how the whole mission went exactly as planned up until they grabbed the wrong crate. You sit there in silence, a hand placed on his arm as he talks in that beautiful accent of his. "I'm just so angry. I hate wicked and everything about them. I can't even contemplate the amount of anger I'm feeling. Minho was always there for me, always. And I messed it up. Vince won't let us try again, he isn't willing to risk anything else. It just doesn't feel right..." He trails off, his voice full of pain and anger. He hangs his head. You lay your head on his shoulder and he puts his arm around your waist, pulling you closer.

There are so many things to say, 'sorry' 'this isn't your fault.' 'it's ok.' 'I understand.' But none of it fits, so you just sit there, trying to comfort him the best you can. Neither of you move for a while, but eventually, you both know that you have to let Vince know you're back. Newt kisses your forehead then says, "Oh I almost forgot..." He starts to pull something out of his pocket. "I made this for you." He holds out his hand, and in it is a leather braided bracelet like the one he always wears. You take it in your hands and gently caress the soft leather, then look to Newt with a smile. "Newt I love it. Thank you so much." Newt smiles then helps you put it on, his hand lingering on yours. Your hand instinctively grabs his and you rub small circles into his palm as you look into his sweet soft eyes. Suddenly you're yanked back into reality by a loud knock on your door. You sigh in annoyance at the interruption then hear Thomas's voice, "I know you two are in there! Vince wants to talk to y/n, and he doesn't look happy." "I'll be right there." You say before giving Newt a hug. "You coming with me?" You ask, really not wanting to deal with Vince alone. "Aw you know I would really love to, seeing Vince angry is my favorite, but you see I've got this thing that I'm supposed to do... so yeah." You roll your eyes then make your way over to the door. You feel strong hands on your shoulders as Newt spins you around pulling you into a sweet soft kiss. You break apart, blushing like crazy and Newt says, "Ok now you can go. Good luck." All you can do is give him a goofy grin as you walk out the door. Your meeting with Vince went exactly as you thought it would, he lectured you for about 20 minutes on why leaving the camp alone, without telling anyone wasn't safe, for many reasons (all of which he explained thoroughly). But he ended the meeting by saying "I'm just trying to keep you kids safe, you kids deserve so much better." Then he gave you a huge fatherly bear hug. By the time you are all done with the meeting and doing several chores it's already getting dark. You make your way over to the campfire where everyone meets for dinner and take your usual seat beside Newt. He hands you a plate of biscuits, beans, and chicken and you dig in immediately, finally realizing just how hungry you are. Frypan's cooking has gotten so much better since you had reached the right arm, for one thing, he had more ingredients, and help. You lean your head against Newt once more, allowing sleep to take over your body.