Breathing Like a Crank

Thomas: Newt is dying. That's the only thought going through Thomas's mind. The berg just flew over his head, providing a small sliver of hope. He bends down to help up Newt, but Newt pushes him away. "Just leave me here mate. Go on without me." His voice is weak and slurred as he coughs up more black liquid. Thomas's heart snaps in two as his best friend gives up hope. Y/n starts talking to Newt, but Thomas doesn't hear a word. He's just staring and Newt. Newt has always been there for him and now he's slipping away. Y/n get's his and Minho's attention. "You guys need to run ahead, go get the serum for Newt, then come back as fast as you can." Thomas and Minho look at each other, no one is hiding their concern now. Gally nods, "Go, I'll cover you guys." Before they leave, Newt looks up at both of them, "Thank you... Thank you, Minho... Thank you, Tommy..." He manages to say between coughs. Minho nods, "Yeah, just hold on ok Newt?" Newt grabs Thomas's hand, ripping a neckless from his neck. "Take this, please." Thomas shakes his head, "No, you can give it to me later." Newt shoves the necklace into his hand, "Take it. Please Tommy, please." Thomas nods, taking the necklace running off with Minho and Gally to get the serum.

Minho: Right when Minho began to hope, his hope is being torn away from him. WICKED tends to have that effect on people. After saying goodbye to Newt, Minho runs faster than ever. His only goal is to make sure that this goodbye was not the last. Minho knows that he's weak, mainly because Thomas is running faster than him. He uses his weakness to push himself harder. Gally runs alongside him and Thomas, protecting them from oncoming fire from the crazy mob. Minho hears Gally shout, "Come on guys, we're almost there!"

Brenda: Vince just landed the berg right by the tunnels, all Brenda can do now is hope and wait. Everyone sits in silence, nerves restraining their words. Brenda jumps, startled, as Thomas's voice comes over the walkie. "We're coming, Brenda. Get the serum ready, we have to take it back to Newt." "Ok, hurry." She responds, putting the walkie down to her side. She looks at Fry, "You heard him, get the serum!" Fry grabs the bag from a boy in the back, taking out a singular blue vial. As he hands it to Brenda he adds, "You know, I'm pretty sure Thomas told YOU to get the serum." Brenda rolls her eyes, taking the vial from Fry. Brenda then looks out the open door, thinking to herself, 'Come on Thomas. Run.'

 You: You watch as the boys run off to find Brenda. When you turn your head back to Newt, he's gazing off to the side breathing heavily, it sounds as if he's hyperventilating. "Newt." No answer. "Newt!" Still no answer. Panic wells up inside of you, you grip him by the shoulders and shake, trying desperately to get his attention. "Newt! Look at me!" Newt snaps his head towards you aggressively with a grunt. "Come on Newt, we can do this. We'll meet them halfway." Newt clings to your arm with a deadly tight grip, like he thinks you'll float away if he lets go. You can't think. You seem calm but on the inside, it feels like the whole world is crashing down around you. You're losing Newt and don't know how to save him. Newts panicked breaths slow for a moment, he moves his hand to the bracelet he made you back in the Right Arm. The sight of it calms him down. "I remember making this for you... I was convinced you would think it was stupid." His voice is raspy and pained. You look at him lovingly, "It's perfect." Newt smiles at you weakly, "No matter what happens Y/n..." You interrupt him, "No Newt, don't start. We're gonna make it out of this." Newt ignores you saying, "I bloody love you Y/n. Until the sun dies." You feel tears threaten to spill from your eyes, you have to stay strong for Newt. You grab him under his arms, "Alright Newt, I need you to give me all you've got. We're gonna make it." Newt nods feebly. As you lift him up he starts to cry out in pain. You bite your lip and a tear escapes your eyes. You wipe it away. Newt's full weight is on you now, and his legs are dragging behind him. You use all of your strength to help him along. It doesn't help that occasionally, he fights against you like he's trying to escape. It doesn't take long for you to fatigue. Newt grunts in pain with every step you take. "I'm sorry Newt, we're almost there."

Brenda: Finally, Brenda sees Thomas, Minho, and Gally turn the corner just as a large explosion goes off behind them.

You: Newt loses consciousness right as you pull him into an ally way. But you continue to trudge on. Your muscles burn fiercely as Newt just seems to get heavier and heavier. Your heart freezes as a horridly familiar sound escapes Newts lips. Low hollow-sounding, croaking breaths fill your ears. The same way a Crank sounds when it 'breaths'. Newt has regained partial consciousness now and is fighting to get out of your arms. He shifts, allowing gravity to pull him from your arms onto the ground. "No Newt. Oh please, come on Newt!"