Pt 4:

"I... I was looking for you." You hang your head in embarrassment and you continue. "You seemed upset after I raced Minho, I wanted to make sure you were ok." He tilts your head up again so you could look at him. You look into his gentle eyes and hear only softness and concern in his voice, "Listen. I used to be a runner," his eyes flicker to his leg, and you remember his slight limp. "It's dangerous, scary, and there's never any guarantee that you'll come back. I don't know why, but ever since I first met you. When I saw your sweet terrified face peak out of that bloody box, all I've wanted to do is protect you. In there I can't protect you. I wasn't upset, in fact I was really happy for you, but I was also scared to lose you." He smiles a genuine, caring smile and it breaks what's left of your strength. You fall into him, hugging him, and burying your face in his shoulder. You feel his arms wrap around you and you feel warmth and calm rush over you. His embrace feels so right, so perfect. You don't know how long you've been standing there, but you don't want it to end. But it has to, your attacker is starting to stir awake and you both need to get back to the glade. "Come on Y/n, let's get you some water then you should get some sleep." You nod and he leads you, arm around your shoulders, back to the Glade. "Why did that kid attack me?" You ask after a moment of silence. "It's hard to say, he's been stung by a Griever. He's been going through the changing, there's no telling what's going on the that mind of his." His voice sounds sad, but his face doesn't show any emotion, until he turns to look at you. The he smiles. You like that he smiles when he looks at you. You blush slightly then ask, 'Is it ok that we just left him there?" He nods, "I'll send Minho or Alby to go get him when we get back to the glade." You nod and walk the rest of the way back to the glade in silence. Newt sends. Minho and a few other boys you vaguely recognize to get the boy, then he hands you a bottle of water. You drink it readily and he leads you to the Homestead, arm still wrapped around your shoulders, sending a constant, nice, tingling feeling through your aching body.

 You get back to the Homestead, and Newt walks you all the way to your room. You have your own since you're the only girl. You walk in the room and Newt stops right outside the door. "Thanks for saving me." You say, it sounds lame, but it's the best you can think to say. "Of course "Y/n, anything for you. Tomorrow you get to start training to be a runner, you'll do great." He sounds genuinely excited for you, but you can see in his eyes that he's still worried about you. You give him a confident smile and say, "I'll be just fine. Don't worry about me, I'm strong." You flex at the last part. Newt smiles and laughs. Wow you like his laugh. And his smile. "I know you're strong. I can't help but worry about you. Although that won't get in the way of you doing great and having a good time. You're so amazing and perfect.." He pauses then catches himself, "For the job.. I mean." You both flush pink. Newt seems to have lost his train of thought, but continues anyway. "What I mean to say, is you're going to do fantastic and your going to be a great member of the runner. But be safe ok?" You smile and give him a hug, "Thanks Newt." You can't see but Newt is blushing furiously now. "Of course." He says, happy that you can't see his face. He doesn't know why he's so afraid of losing you, or why he enjoys your hugs so much, or why your smiles send flutters through his stomach. He just know that whatever this is, he has to, and will protect it, protect you. The two of you split apart and Newt turns to walk away. "Newt." You stop him. "Yes?" "Could you stay? I... I mean, if you'd rather not, that fine, I understand... I'm still just a little shaken up from the whole thing and everything that happened... I mean.." He cuts you off with a slight laugh. "Of course I'll stay." You turn around and walk over to the small bed, while you're not looking Newt smiles and laughs at how sweet and silly you are. You lay down on the far side and Newt gently lays next to you. It's not long until you feel sleep pulling your eyes shut. Just before you fall asleep, you feel Newt's arms wrap around your torso, pulling you close. He must think you're asleep, and soon you are.