Divide and Conquer

You: You could hear the sadness in Brenda's voice, she really cares about Thomas, she's afraid of losing him just as you're afraid of losing Newt. You hang your head low as the hopelessness sets in. You're going to die in a burning city, stuck behind WICKED'S walls. You look at Newt. He has no strength left, he's using all of his strength to fight the virus eating at his mind, he can't even sit up straight. You lay his head on your shoulder and gently start to move your hand through his hair. With a lot of effort, Newt manages to place an arm around your shoulders. Brenda's voice comes over the walkie once more, "Don't worry Thomas, we're coming to you." Thomas sits up a little straighter, "What do you mean?" "Our ride's here!" Thomas looks up at you, daring to hope. Brenda adds, "Just look for us by the tunnels." Without hesitation, Minho and Thomas grab Newt by the arms and the five of you start to run faster than ever. You make it about a block before Newt starts panting heavily. "Newt just hold on ok." You say looking back at him. Gally nods, "Yeah, we're almost there Newt." Newt shakes his head, and in a strained voice says, "Just leave me." Your heart breaks. He's giving up. "No Newt, We're not going to do that." You say as the boys lean him against a wall to wait for a part of the mob to pass. Newt starts coughing again, this time he's coughing up black liquid, the black fluids then drip down his chin. Just then, the berg passes over top of you. Newt looks to the sky, and you can almost see the hope behind his blackened eyes. Thomas speaks up, "That's Brenda, come on." Thomas starts to pick up Newt, but Newt pushes him away. "Just leave me here mate. Go on without me." His voice is weak and slurred as he coughs up more black liquid. You kneel down in front of Newt and gently cup his face with your hand. He leans into your hand, but his black eyes can't seem to focus on you. "We're not giving up Newt. We can make it ok?" Newt doesn't respond, he starts taking in coarse gasping breaths. You look harder at Newt and can see that he's in tears. "You have... to live Y/n." He croaks. You nod, "I will, we ALL will." You look at Thomas and Minho, "You guys need to run ahead, go get the serum for Newt, then come back as fast as you can." Thomas and Minho look at each other, no one is hiding their concern now. Gally nods, "Go, I'll cover you guys." Before they leave, Newt looks up at both of them, "Thank you... Thank you, Minho... Thank you, Thomas..." He manages to say between labored breaths. Minho nods, "Yeah, just hold on ok Newt?" Newt grabs Thomas's hand, ripping a neckless from his neck. "Take this, please." Thomas shakes his head, "No, you can give it to me later." Newt shoves the necklace into his hand, "Take it!!" His voice softens, "Please Tommy, please." Thomas nods, taking the necklace running off with Minho and Gally to get the serum. Now it's just you and Newt.

 Newt: Pain. That one feeling is crowding Newt's mind. He can hardly keep focus. Minho and Thomas have to drag him along as they run through the fiery streets. Every movement takes an extreme amount of energy, and he's almost out. Newt can feel the thick black liquid fill his lungs. He coughs to try and get it out but it's building up too fast. A sensation like drowning takes over his senses. The black liquid fills his entire body, running through his veins, coating his eyes, making it hard to see. Everything looks dark black and hazy. Pain shoots through his head as he fights against his own mind, straining to keep it under control. The next thing he knows, he's being set down. The others are talking about something. A loud noise grabs his attention, he looks up toward the source and there above him is the berg. He allows himself a moment of hope. But then he realizes that his friends will never make it if they have to drag him along. They have to leave him behind. The feeling of someone grabbing his arms distracts Newt from his thoughts. Thomas is trying to take Newt with them. "Just leave me here, mate. Go on without me." His voice is weak and slurred as he coughs up more black liquid. Newt vaguely sees Y/n crouch down in front of him. She puts a comforting hand on his cheek, and for a moment he forgets his pain, he forgets that he's dying. All that matters is Y/n. "You have to live Y/n." He croaks. Then she replies exactly how he thought she would. "I will, we ALL will." She always has a spark of hope in her. But Newt can tell, her spark is almost gone. He watches as her face falters at the sight of him. Watching him as he dies is excruciating to her. Newt can't help but feel guilty. All he wants is for her to be happy, but now he's the cause of her pain. If only he could make the pain stop. Y/n is telling the others to go get the serum and come back, she knows that he can't move any further. The more he moves, the harder it is to maintain control of his mind. Thomas and Minho are about to leave.Newt knows this is probably goodbye. "Thank you... Thank you, Minho... Thank you, Tommy..." He manages to say between coughs. Minho nods, "Yeah, just hold on ok Newt?" Newt grabs Thomas's hand, ripping a neckless from his neck. "Take this, please." Thomas shakes his head, "No, you can give it to me later." Newt shoves the necklace into his hand, "Take it!!" His voice softens, "Please Tommy, please." Thomas nods, taking the necklace running off with Minho and Gally to get the serum. Now it's just Newt and Y/n.