Pt 9:

Ben is at the back of the crowd of Gladers. He's pushing past boy after boy, forcing his way through the crowd, all the while screaming, "Where is she? Where is Y/n?!" Newt grabs your hand before standing in front of you. At his touch sparks spiral up your arm giving you a new wave of confidence. You watch as Alby steps in front of Ben, holding him off. Alby is strong but Ben is relentless, Ben throws Alby off of him and stands up looking around wildly. You stare as Ben's head turns, searching for you. Then your eyes meet. Anger and hatred mixed with hysteria cloud his eyes while tears through the crowd, coming straight for you. Winston, Fred, and Zart tackle Ben into the soft turf. They hold him down long enough for Alby to take a large stick and whack him in the head, knocking Ben out cold. Alby looks at you, "You good Y/n?" You nod letting out a sigh of relief. Winston is still staring at Ben's unmoving body, "What do we do with Ben now?" Alby thinks for a moment, "We don't have time to deal with him. Leave him with those shanks who are staying behind. Let's go." Everyone collects themselves and Newt squeezes your hand before turning around, asking, "You alright?" You nod again, "Yeah I'm good. Thanks." You smile at him weakly and turn to look when Alby speaks. "Well let's get on with it shall we? Minho, Thomas, lead the way." Thomas and Minho nod and take off into the maze. Minho keeps a moderate pace, allowing the guys who don't run regularly to keep up. Adrenaline courses through your veins as your feet pound the rough stone. You're glad for the adrenaline rush because it's temporarily numbs the pain of your wounds. As the crowd of sweaty boys and you run after Minho, hope fills your mind. Finally the time had come. You and your friends are leaving. For good, no more WICKED, no more Grievers. You look down and see that Newt is still holding your hand ad he runs with his slight limp. You smile, good tings are coming. The end is beginning.

As you run, the cold air whips around your face, sending your hair in every which direction. Every movement hurts like crazy and you wince with each step. Yet through the pain you can't help feeling excited. For once you have the hope for a new life, a normal life. Adrenaline pushes the blood through your veins giving you strength to push through every painful step. You look around as you run with your newly found friends. With your new family. The maze is silent except for the constant pounding of feet. Minho takes extra precautions, protecting the group. He pause before taking each turn, keeping a sharp eye out for Grievers. Although the further you go into the maze, the more cautious Minho becomes. The pace of the group has slowed to a cautious jog and fear begins to crawl through your chest like a dozen spiders. Then the group comes to a complete stop. You follow Newt, your hand still in his, as he makes his way to the front of the group. Minho peers around the corner and as he turns back toward Thomas and the rest of the group you see that his face had gone pale with fear. Minho whispers something to Thomas and Thomas looks around the corner, then turns back with the same look of fear. You have arrived at the Griever hole, and the Grievers are ready. Minho turns to face the group, failing to hide his fear. "Alright you shanks. We're here. The hole is straight across this next hallway. Thomas and Chuck have the key, so follow them. The Grievers are waiting for us just as we thought the would be. Some of us wont make it out, some of us will. Protect a friend when you can, but get yourself out of here alive. Now, be careful, and don't die." Newt smirks, doing a bit better job of hiding his fear, "Great we're all bloody inspired." His words receive a few chuckles form the boys and you smile up at him. Minho and a few other Gladers turn the corner as the fight begins. For the first time since leaving the Glade, Newt releases your hand, looking you directly in the eye. "This may be the last time I get to see you. This may be the end. But I have to tell you, I've been trying all day." He takes a deep breath, "I love you." And with that he turns the corner, entering into the fray of the fight and leaving you in shock. You take a deep breath and clear your mind. Step after step you turn the corner and enter the fight for your freedom.