Glorious Daylight

The boys are still busy with the circle of cranks closing in on you and they haven't noticed yet the danger you had just found. You push the crank with your arms as she tries desperately to claw at you. You knee her, kick her, shove her, but she won't budge. The first of the boys to notice, Newt, of course, shouts out your name, running over to help you. He tackles the crank, effectively pushing her away from you. But now Newt is wrestling with the crank. You're back at it again. You kick her and pull her, trying to get her off Newt but once again she won't budge. Thomas joins you while Fry continues to shoot as many cranks as he can. With the two of you working together, your strength is enough to throw her off of Newt, just in time for her to be run over by a truck which has just plowed through the army of cranks. Standing in the sunroof is Brenda, looking like a superhero as she shoots cranks left and right. "Get in!" She shouts, not one of you hesitate, you all scramble into the truck and Jorge slams on the gas, sending you careening away from the cranks. You cover your eyes as you are met by glorious daylight. You made it. You allow yourself to take a sigh of relief and sink into Newt's arms. Except for a long cut down your arm and torso, along with a bruise on your head, the three of you pretty much came out unscathed. From the front seat, Jorge says, "I'm impressed. You guys almost made it a whole day." You give a sheepish smile and Thomas responds with "I'm sorry, I didn't want to bring you guys into this." Silence for a beat and then Fry pipes up, "I think what Thomas is trying to say is, 'thank you'" Everyone smiles and nods, expressing their gratitude. "I wouldn't get your hopes up amigos, that was the city's last checkpoint, the last defense. If that's run over there's a good chance the city is to." Jorge says, still with a glimmer of hope shining in his eyes. Newt is looking out the window when he says, "Yeah, unless they found a different way the keep the cranks out." This got everyone's attention. You look in the direction that he is, and see the magnificent city, shining and glittering in the blazing sun. Huge walls like nothing you've seen before, even in the maze, create a circle of defense around the wickedly beautiful city. Jorge slams on the brakes and everyone climbs out of the truck to see the marvelous feat. Everyone stares in silent wonder, trying to think of different ways to get in, preferably without dying. Newt breaks the silence first. "Funny, we spent three years behind walls, trying to break out, but now we want to break in."

"Yeah, it's hilarious," Fry says with dry humor. You let out a soft laugh, and you can see Newt smile at you from the corner of your eye, making you blush a little. "How do we get in?" Thomas asks, not breaking his gaze from the dazzling city. "Don't ask me hermano, this is new," Jorge responds. "Well, we're not gonna figure it out from up here," Brenda adds taking a seat in the truck. You walk over to her, wanting to personally thank her from saving you. "Thanks for what you did back there Brenda. How did you find us?" "It was pretty simple really, we saw that you guys had left, taken the old Jeep. And we remembered just how much Thomas wanted to find the last city, so we followed the map. We found the tunnel, and I said to Jorge, 'they wouldn't be stupid enough to go in there would they?' The sound of your car crashing and the boy's screams answered my questions. So in we went saving your sorry butts." Brenda finished with a smile. You laugh at her wonderful storytelling and give her a hug. "It's good to see you, Brenda. How's the leg?" "Good as ever. And your back?" "Just fine." You say with a smile. "In my opinion, our butts are not so sorry," Fry adds with his sweet goofy smile. You hadn't realized that he had been listening the whole time. "NO their pretty sorry," Brenda responds smiling smugly at Fry. "Now ladies no need to fight, everyone's butts are equally sorry." You say faking the peacekeeper act. "Lady!?" Fry says over acting being hurt. You smile innocently receiving a playful punch in the shoulder from Fry. "Oh you want to go there, do you?" You say, standing up tall, looking bold. "Oh, you better watch out hermano," Jorge says joining the conversation. "Oh please, I could easily take you, little girl." "Bad move kid," Brenda says, knowing you all too well. "Is that so?" You say as you jump into the trunk, picking up a stick and wielding it like a bat. Fry starts backing up hands raised. "Ok ok, calm down." He says, laughing at your jokingly evil face. "You sure? I thought you said you could easily take me." "Oh I'm sure I could, I just don't want to hit a girl." "Then why did you hit Thomas earlier." You joke not able to restrain a laugh. For the first time since Thomas has laid eyes on the city, he turns his head to look out you, shouting "Hey! I heard that!" Now you start laughing uncontrollably. Thomas gives you an evil stare before turning back to look at the city, and you see Newt walk over to him looking concerned. As they start talking you inch closer as to overhear what they're saying.