The Truth Comes Out

Thomas is silent for a moment, then to your surprise, Newt speaks up next to you, sounding angry. "What, are you afraid your little girlfriend's going to get hurt?" You look at him in shock, those words don't sound like his own."Hmm? This has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho... Has it?" Newt continues, adding to your surprise. Thomas looks hurt, "Newt, what are you talking about?" Newt then stands up from his chair, aggression rising in his voice. "Teresa. She's the only reason Minho's missing in the first place. Now we have the opportunity to get him back but you won't do it because of her?" As Newt is talking his voice is cracking in anger and sadness as he's slowly backing Thomas into the wall. Fear rises into your throat along with confusion. Everyone around the room looks uncomfortable now. You feel like you should do something to calm newt down, but what is there to do? You feel frozen and helpless. Newt continues, "Because you still care about her, don't you? Just admit it." Now Newt is right in Thomas's face, hatred in his eyes, with Thomas's back against the wall. You want to say something but words seem foreign to you, all you can do is watch. Thomas says something under his breath, but can't finish. Newt grabs him by the shirt and slams him into the wall. "Don't lie to me!" He shouts, and repeats with more force on each word, "Don't. Lie. To me!" Now you stand up. "Newt!" He looks at you with the same anger and hatred in his eyes, "Shut up Y/n!" Newt looks back at Thomas and opens his mouth to say more, but then he backs down. He looks up and down, almost like he's confused. "Sorry." He whispers, then says it again louder for everyone to hear, as he walks away, rubbing his arm. "Newt!" You call after him, but he doesn't respond, or even look back as he disappears out the door. Your mind is now a mess full of hurt, confusion, fear, worry, and so much more. Everyone stands in silence for a moment, not sure what to do. Then Thomas walks off in the same direction as Newt. After a second, you decide to follow him in silence. Thomas walks out to the roof, where you see a door left open, most likely by Newt. That outburst was not like Newt at all, something here is strange and you're going to find out what it is.

You follow Thomas through the door, him still not knowing you're there, and you quickly hide behind a tall leafy plant, just in range to hear what they're saying. You see Newt sitting at the edge of the building, legs dangling off, he looks so sad, you have the instinct to run out to him, hug him until he feels better, to tell a joke and make him smile. But you know you should stay hidden, to figure out what on earth is going on. Newt speaks up to Thomas, "Sorry about that, back there... I guess I can't hide this anymore." He rolls up his sleeve. You have to hold in a gasp as tears well up in your eyes. Black veins are crawling disastrously up his arm, the skin around it is red and peeling. He clenches his fist as it begins to shake. Thomas crouches down next to him, "Why didn't you tell me? Tell us?" "I didn't think it would make any difference. All I know is that WICKED must have put me in that maze for a reason. Maybe it was just so they could tell the difference between Immunes like you and people like me." The hopelessness in the air is tangible, you can feel it surrounding you, filling you to the bones, crushing you and all the happiness you had hoped for. Thomas speaks again, "You know we can still fix this Newt. Ok? We can." Newt shakes his head, "Don't worry about me. This is about Minho. Did I ever tell you how I got my limp?" Thomas shakes his head, and fear rises into your throat once more. Newt never told you this story. He continues, "I showed up in the maze, no memories, just like everyone else. I felt empty, worthless. I hated the place, Tommy. One day I decided I had enough, I ran out into the maze, found the tallest wall I could and climbed the Ivy to the top. Then I jumped. Now, of course, my leg had to get all tangled up in the vines, it broke my leg in three places. I hit the stone floor and was alive. But I didn't want to be. By some stroke of luck, Minho found me and carried me back to the Glade. He never told anyone, and neither did I. He saved my life that day. And now, now he needs us. So if there is even the slightest chance we can save him, that we can get him out of there, then we have to take that. No matter what the cost." At this moment you're 90 percent sure you can actually feel your heart breaking.