Pt 31:

Brenda and Teresa talked for the rest of the trip, but you stayed silent. The scratches on your back burned like crazy, and your mind kept going foggy. Jorge says that you're close to where they think the Right Arm is, but it's getting late so the group stops and makes camp around the truck. You position yourself away from the group, propped up against a tire. Your mind starts slowly slipping into a now familiar fog and you bow your head, squinting your eyes trying to shake it off. Startled, you jerk as you feel a hand placed on your shoulder. "Woah there, it's me," Newt says hands raised, just like the second day in the maze. You smile at the memory. "How are you feeling?" He asks sweetly. "Alright, I guess... I'm nauseous, and my mind keeps clouding." Newt nods silently then says, "Just hold on a bit longer, we'll get you to the Right Arm, and they'll help." You can hear a bit of worry in his voice like he doesn't believe the words he's saying. "You want something to eat?" Newt asks, you just shake your head. You don't feel like you could eat anything without throwing up. And that is one feeling that you are ok with being wiped from your memories. "(y/n), you need to eat," Newt says with genuine care in his voice. Something inside you snaps. "I said no, ok!?" You shout grabbing the attention of a few others in the group. Newt looks shocked and a bit hurt. "Sorry, I don't know why I said that." You murmur, confused at yourself for the sudden outburst. Jorge walks up behind Newt saying, "Don't think much into it Hermano, that's one of the side effects that starts when someone begins to turn." He then walks away like what he had said was no big deal. Your mind starts to cloud and your breathing grows heavy, you can't control your thoughts. You squint your eyes and try to shake it off but it won't go away. Your fists start clenching and unclenching beyond your control. Newt kneels down in front of you, "Love, I need you to calm down alright, everything going to be ok." You lose all control. "don't you DARE tell me to calm down, everything will not be ok!! You don't understand me!!" Your arms move on their own, grabbing Newt around his neck. Newt tries to force his way out of your grip but he can't. "Love please." He begs with what little air he has. Your mind clears, you blink the fog away and see what you've done. "Oh no, Newt I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to..." tears begin to well in your eyes. "It's alright Love, just hold on a bit longer."
You wake up in the morning, before most everyone else. You notice that Newt is over by one of the mirrors of the truck. He's looking at the bruises that formed from your attack last night. Gently you get up and walk over to him. "Newt I am so so sorry. I never want to hurt you. I just lost control of my mind, of my self." "It's alright Love, I understand. This isn't your fault." You bite your lip to hold back any tears that want to escape. Newt grabs you gently by the shoulders then pulls you into a hug. "(y/n), no matter what happens, I will always love you. But you will make it through this. You are so strong, I believe in you." Newts words brought back the memory of Winston before he died. 'I could tell from the beginning that you were special. Now go and be strong, be special.' You have to be strong now more than ever, for Winston, for Newt, for a better future. "Thank you Newt." You smile up at him. One at a time, the rest of the group wakes up and piles into the truck, Newt calls shotgun again but this time the boys let you girls sit in the seats. You are lucky enough to get the seat by the window and spend the rest of the trip either daydreaming or trying to shake off flashes of your mind clouding. The truck pulls to a stop on the edge of a canyon. The rest of the road is blocked by several cars and a tunnel. "Looks like we're walking from here," Jorge says and everyone gets out of the car. You stand at the entrance of the tunnel, trying not to think of how many cranks could be hiding in there. Another wave of cloudiness overtakes you and you start trying to shake it off. You've noticed that trying to remember good memories helped. Your mind clears suddenly as the sounds of gunshots fill the air. You whip around to see your friends dodging behind cars for protection. You do the same. The gunshots die down and come to a stop and you hear Newt call your name. "I'm alright! What's going on!?" "We don't know, someone is shooting from above!" You hear Thomas shout back. You cautiously peer over the top of the car to try and get a better look at the situation. You can't see much, although you can see Brenda and Jorge behind a car, as well as Newt and Minho. You hear a vague conversation between Thomas and Jorge. You strain your ears trying to hear, but suddenly you're distracted. The familiar feeling of a cold tip of a gun is shoved into your back.