6.

After hearing the news of Harry's retirement, it was hard for Mia to remain so cheerful, knowing that he was going to be leaving soon. However, she didn't want him to see her upset, so she continued to smile.

Two weeks later, the gossip had spread through the office that Harry was going to be retiring. When one of her colleagues had shared the news with her, Mia couldn't help but laugh to herself.

The thought popped into her mind that Harry was right, if he hadn't told her first, she'd definitely hear it from the others and it would hurt.

She'd come to terms with him leaving, she wasn't exactly enthusiastic about it, but then again there was no point sulking right now when he hadn't even left yet.

It was a couple of hours in to the morning and Mia was occupied with her work. She was sat at her desk and typing away, when her telephone began to ring.

Mia glanced at the little screen on the telephone and realised it was a company number, but not one that she recognised.

"Hello?" She answered the phone in a questioning tone.

"Miss Sareen?"

On the other end of the phone was a deep, but oddly familiar, voice.

"Yes, speaking. May I ask whose calling?" She continued to speak in a professional manner.

Mia could then hear the other person let out a small breath, as if they were amused and it left her confused on what she had said that was so funny.

"Richard."

Mia's confusion remained.

"Richard...?"

She stretched out the name a little whilst speaking, hoping the caller would catch onto her drift and offer a last name - one that would help her identify who she was speaking to.

"Carter."

Suddenly, Mia felt her throat go dry once she heard the last name. She felt so shocked and confused, her mind was a mess.

Richard Carter, CEO, was calling her right now. The Richard Carter.

Now it made a lot more sense on why the deep voice sounded so familiar. 'It's him. It's really him,' Mia thought to herself.

This was unbelievable to her. She didn't think he'd even remember her after the small encounter they had - clearly she didn't, not even recognising his voice.

"Oh sorry, Sir...Boss...Sir-Boss...Sir," Mia stuttered through her words, the dry throat of hers not being a lot of help right now.

Mia then heard a chuckle at the other end of the line.

'At least he found her amusing,' she thought, even if she wasn't trying to be funny.

"Are you done, dear?" Richard then asked, his tone sounding quite mirthful.

Richard could understand how Mia didn't know it was him on the phone, but found it quite funny how she seemed to be lost for words once did realise it was him.

It was almost adorable the way she fumbled her words.

"Yes, Sir." Mia then replied, a lot calmer and in control now.

"Good. I was wondering if you were free for lunch today?" Richard asked.

Mia nearly dropped the phone at his question, and looked to either side of her to see if anyone had seen her moment of stupidity.

She was just so surprised at his words. 'Surely ought to be some kind of trap. The CEO wouldn't actually be interested in having lunch with her, could he?'