---The Prize---

The music began and so did the tiresome pattern of dancing. I kept in mind to remember how to dance with the amount of nervousness I felt.

"Relax Lia. We have done this before." Henley said with a smile and I nodded.

I was nervous not because I was dancing with the Prince and all the eyes on me were criticizing me for that. I was nervous because I was about to tell Henley a secret that could shatter everything. And at the moment as much as I despised Bretrarum, I would not want him to die.

But I didn't want Henley to die either, in the honor of our friendship and trust I chose to let the secret out as soon as I noticed other pairs joining us on the dance floor. Even Tahira was out of reach now.

"Listen to me carefully Henley and don't react, just smile and dance," I whispered furiously.

And I saw the little surprise in his eyes otherwise he kept his face neutral.

"I didn't escape any prison or anything Henley, Nevarlia's King captured me and tortured for a purpose. He sent me here to be a spy on your Kingdom and learn secrets behind some secret weapon they think you hold. They threatened me that they will kill you so I couldn't say anything before. My maidservant, Tahira, she is also a spy to keep an eye on me in case I try to tell you." After I said it all in one go, I realized that this information was kind of useless for Henley.

At least he will know that I am not being a spy without a solid reason.

He heeded my words and kept a smiling face through the whole conversation making him look kind of insane.

"Does the Prince of Nevarlia know?" He asked and I nodded subtly.

"If I tell you the secret, will they set you free?" He asked and I couldn't believe his words.

I felt my eyes water and my heart swelled with grief for the misfortune of not loving the right guy.

"I will never tell them a secret that will destroy your home, I already lost mine," I promised him.

"I will increase the security and prewarn the border army.  I am not sure what they are aiming for." He said.

"Keep yourself safe first." I pleaded.

Gratitude surfaced in his eyes and surprising me and the crowd, he leaned in and planted a soft kiss on my forehead.

"You have a home here." He said and before I could answer or contradict him, the sound of glass tinkling with spoon caught my attention.

Queen was about to make an announcement.

Probably immediate wedding announcement of Henley seeing what he just did.

"Prince of Nevarlia has decided on the winning of today's match," Queen said with a happy smile like her brilliant plan succeeded to kill me.

I knew a lot of treasures and land went to the final winner but this initial winner just earned a dance with the Princess of her choice. And I very well knew it was not me.

"He has requested for Princess Liahna as his bride." As soon as Queen said the words, haunting silence spread across the halls.

Henley's hand dropped from my waist and he turned to look at the masked Dark Prince. The only person smiling in the room was the Queen.

Bride?  Marriage? What?

I was about to throw a tantrum or refuse this proposal but Bretrarum looked at me and then slightly tilted his head as if reminding me something. 

Then it hit me, this was his plan, he will take me away from this palace as his wife. This was not a real marriage deal, just a pretense to get me out and I sighed.

"You can't torment her and then just ask her to be your bride," Henley yelled shocking the already terrified crowd.

I gasped out loud, he just outed the secret I told him putting both of our lives at risk.

But Bretrarum didn't look fazed at this at all, "I want her to be my bride because I tormented her and now her tainted reputation allows her to be my bride and my bride only."

This time his voice held a threat and a challenge. 

"Your Highness, we as the host kingdom, accept your demand for the winnings." Queen agreed too quickly.

"I thought so. I request that my bride is sent to my Kingdom tomorrow and stop being a burden on you." He said with a tone of finality.

King nodded along with Queen, but the King looked saddened at the thought.

"I will not allow her to go back to her hell." Henley said, "I know why you sent her here."

"Let her decide where she wants to go," Bretrarum said and I saw the fire of anger in his eyes.

It was not about kingdoms or anything, this was about me right now.

Should I stay back and them Henley about the poison or should I go with Bretrarum and find the cure before I die. Should I shatter the trust as he did with me and choose to stay? But that wouldn't even matter, he was taking all these risks for me.

At least I did my part, Henley knew what Nevarlia was after, he could safeguard it and himself.

"I will go with Prince of Nevarlia, Queen already promised me as a bride, I can't refuse," I answered in a small tone and avoid to see the reaction on Henley's face.

"It's settled now. Princess will leave tomorrow." Queen said with delight.

And yet deep in the mind, I knew why I choose to go with him because even when I danced this close to Henley the poison didn't trigger at all.

---

I know, I know. this was kind of shorter update than usual, lol

But it is set this way because the next chapter would be longer and including half of the events here didn't make sense :)

As you might know, these two are running away and a lot of pain and action is yet to come :D

SO BEHOLD.....sorry that was too dramatic.

Anyway.... thoughts, please?

And NEXT UPDATE: FRIDAY.