---Layers of truth---

A spy. That was what Bretrarum was. His real name was Ivor, he was the  Prince of this Kingdom. At first, I thought that King was lying or that he was delusional. But he was not.

When the royal physician and a witch was rushed in to cure the Dark prince, no one hesitated or went in shock as they removed the mask. The Queen stood with a concerned look on her face on seeing the number of injuries on his body. 

For an hour they worked in silence treating him through herbs, needles, and spells and I stood there worried, my injuries paining more prominently now. I didn't dare move still unsure in the back of mind. He never told me the biggest truth of all.

He was a spy, a perfect liar who had fooled everyone around him. Lying was not just his skill, it was part of his life and of what he does. Did he not trust me enough to tell me that he is actually the Prince of White Magic.

"He needs to rest, he will recuperate within twenty-four hours." The physician said.

I wanted to step forward and say that I will take him but I felt more like an outsider now and I didn't make a move.

"Take him to his chambers," King ordered the witch and she bowed.

Before leaving she gave me a look of pity.

Now I was left alone with the King and Queen and it felt awkward.

"So you love him?" Is the first thing King asked and I was too shocked to answer.

I said I did but then if Bretrarum or Ivor whoever he was should have trusted me enough to tell me his secret.

But in all cases, I did love him.

"Yes, I do."

"Where did he find you?" Queen's degrading tone was enough to make my jaw tick.

"In a brothel." I gave her a twisted version of the truth.

Her eyes widened in disbelief.

"How could he..." She mumbled but the King stopped her with a glare.

"You have powers I have never seen," King said and I realized that my lie was not going to easily set in.

"I do." 

"And, do you know complete use of them?"

"Bret- The Prince is teaching me." I lied again.

He himself saw me going insane in anger in front of Henley.

"He has shown you his face?" King questioned and I carefully nodded.

Queen looked agitated through the whole thing.

"And did he tell you that he was sent as a spy in the Dark Magic Kingdom since he was fifteen. He went in as a foot soldier and earned the favor of the King."

No, he didn't.

I remain silent at this.

Among all the things I was feeling I also felt sad for the Prince. He was sent on a spy mission by his own family in the most dangerous enemy Kingdom. He has not lived with his family for a long time and he had no close confidant or friend. But who was the real Prince, the dark intimidating one known to be a ruthless killer or the one set out to be a spy for his Kingdom to eliminate the evil? 

"Why sent him as a spy? He could have killed the whole Kingdom in a blink." I asked.

"We don't spill the blood of innocent. And he was sent on a mission he accepted gladly. He had to be there as a spy and be his closest confidant so when the time comes he can use the sword to kill the evil King of Nevarlia."