---Soulmates---

My heart was thudding so loudly in my chest that I was sure people in the temple could hear it. Built as a sacred altar to their first King and Queen the temple was an architectural beauty. It was made of black marble, stool tall with designed columns and walls with intricate patterns on them.

And even though the fire was lighted up in the temple, it was still cold. And I was relieved that my gown was made of thick velvet material.  More than fifty people were gathered and from the symbol of Nevarlia on their uniform, I could recognize who were the officials and who were the guests. Even though this was not a big deal, King invited so many to humiliate me.

I was made to sit on a throne double my height made of black iron and emerald jewels. As soon as I sat down on the throne, I felt cold and uneasy. Everyone was there except the one person I needed most at the moment.

To ease my self I started observing the temple carefully, especially the altar. There was a large golden bowl kept in the middle and fire was burning in it. Behind the bowl were two statue build in gold as well of the King and the Queen of Dark Magic.

Near the bowl, two beautiful knives were places, hilt made of gold with a fingernail-sized emerald on it. It was sharp and gleaming in the firelight.

My observation was interrupted when the door open with a loud sound and Dark Prince walked in looking bloodied and dirty except the fact that was masked. His quick footsteps made people freeze in fear as if they were worried about his bad mood. Once he came closer I sighed in relief as I realized the blood on his clothes was not his.

I whispered as he came closer to me, "Is the attack that bad?"

"You don't  have to worry." He assured me and his confident tone made me relax.

"Are you scared of the gathering, we have some high ranking officials and magicians in the guest list right now." He said as he used the towel given to him by Eirik and wiped all the blood and dirt on his clothes.

"I couldn't be less bothered about them. They all look intimidating and hateful but I guess a few things scare me now." I said shrugging lightly and he nodded with a soft look in his eyes.

"Let's get started." He said and my stomach did a somersault.

I let out a nervous chuckle, "I overdressed for the occasion proves that you are even less interested in marrying me."

As soon as I said it I realized my nervous self made a stupid comment of insecurity.

He just shook his head lightly keeping his dangerous aura consistent in front of the crowd.

As big a moment this was Bretrarum was not the one for dramatics or second thoughts, he went ahead holding my hand causing waves of whispers among the gathered. He picked up the knife on his side and made a quick cut on his palm making blood ooze out immediately.

I stepped forward to do the same but for some reason, my feet were frozen as if I dreaded this moment. Bretrarum saw my hesitance and grabbed my hand. Before I could react or comprehend what would follow, I winced by the pain caused as soon as the knife touched my skin.

My heart stopped as we both dropped our blood in the bowl with fire.

Lump form in my throat due to severe anxiety when nothing happened for few seconds but then the fire burned brighter and grew double the size it was, it turned red in color and I heard loud gasps from the crowd. I had no idea what it meant accepting the fact that we didn't fail the test.

A few seconds later the fire died down and all that remained in the bowl was ashes and two silver rings.

"I have never seen red flames in my life." A very old looking man said.