55

jacks pov
-vote and comment-

| thursday december 24 6:09 PM |

"jack, you made it" amanda says as she opens the front door. i smile at her as she smiles widely and warmly in my direction. "Yes ma'am" i say partially not wanting to be here. things have been distant and a little awkward between kelsey and i since saturday at the christmas with our friends, but i did say i would come so i'm not going to bail on our plans. "kelsey is in the back yard with her grandpa, he's been waiting to meet you" she tells me as she steps aside to let me in. she hugs me quickly, with me hugging back before i make my way to the back yard.

before opening up the back door i let out a sigh, nervous of what today will bring. "Just turn the knob to the right a little more" an older man says as i step outside. it looked like
he was trying to teach her how to use a gas grill. "what if it explodes or something..." she asks in her usual scared or nervous voice that she uses when she's unsure of what the outcome would be. "yeah it could, but we're not worried about that" he says in a teasing tone.

i take a deep breath and walk over to them making her smile a little when she sees me. she pulls me into a hug making all my nerves go away. well all except the ones i have had about how things have been between us the past four days. "grandpa this is jack, my boyfriend. jack this is my grandpa clyde, my moms dad" she says breaking the hug. "ah the man of the hour! i've been waiting to meet you ever since kelsey brought you up a few months ago" he smiles making me smile as well and look at her to see her eyes widened and her face almost as red as her coat she was wearing. it made me feel confident and great that she was talking about me to her family...not in a cocky way of course. it was reassuring and was cute as hell.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you sir" i say holding my hand out. he brings his hand to mine only to slowly push it down and hugs me. "it's about time she finds someone other than that dammed froy kid" he laughs when he pulls away from me. "okay grandpa so um how about you turn the knob and i go introduce him to everyone else" kelsey speaks up. "of course sweetheart, don't you two be any trouble now." he says eyeing us both as he reaches down for the knob.

we walk back in the house and instead of going where everyone else is she headed straight for the stairs, presumably to go to her room.

we enter her room and she lets out a sigh making the tension between us slightly rise and become more awkward. "thank you for coming...i didn't think you were" she laughs a little making me feel like an even bigger ass for being late, i had a perfectly good reason for it though. "and for dressing nice" she adds holding her hand out to touch my plaid scarf my mom practically forced me to wear, which i'm now very glad she made me wear it. "I told you i'd come" i tell her and she nods. "i know big things have been different lately..i just want to fix whatever it is before i introduce you to everyone else. i don't want it to be weird between us." she says taking a seat on the bed and patting the spot next to her.