19. Graduation Day

ASHANTI

It was time that Lamonte and I had this conversation.

I drove to his house with the pain heightening the closer I got to him.

I grew the courage and before I knew it I was standing in front of his door. I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

The door swung open and there he was. His facial hair grew out and he had bags under his eyes.

He looked terrible.

"Ashanti," he whispered as if he couldn't believe it.

"Lamonte," I spoke staring into his mesmerizing eyes.

"Come in," he said softly.

"No, I don't think that's a good idea. I'll just say what I came here to say and I'll be gone," I stated sternly.

He nodded his head as to say he was ready to listen, but he had a knowing look upon his face.

"I... I don't think this is going to work between us anymore. You're obviously not a 100% involved with me and I was all in. You told me not to be and I should've listened to you the first time. You told me you couldn't love me and now I'm taking your suggestion," I utter boldly. I took the ring off my finger and placed it in the palm of his hand.

"Goodbye, Lamonte," I spoke in a whisper.
I turn my back and walk to my car but before I could get in I was pressed up against a body. Suddenly, Lamonte's face was pressed up against mine. I couldn't help but kiss him back.

I kissed him back with every ounce of power I had left in me.

I kissed him because I knew it would be the last time.

We were over.

Lamonte King and I were over.

***
5 weeks later...

It was my graduation day finally and I couldn't be more excited.

These last 5 weeks have been rough to say the least.

I spent the first 2 weeks crying and not getting anything done, which made it that much harder for me to step my game up for finals week.

I had to do projects and exams so I was way too occupied to be thinking about Lamonte.

We had plans for this day.

We were going to go up to his cabin and spend the weekend.

Now, I'm going on a surprise getaway with Ana and Ajax. It's not going to help considering I'm going to be third-wheeling, but I couldn't say no. They did it for my graduation and I was grateful.

I was sitting in a crowd full of people and speeches were being made about our futures, but my mind was everywhere.

I didn't know what I was going to do after this.

My parents want me to come work for them full-time and one day, take over the company. I was considering it and I thought that I should take it to just get away from this city a while.

I didn't tell Ana about it yet, but I knew she would support me especially since I'm still going to be living with her.

Life was looking up and I was kind of excited to see where it was planning to go next.