27. Happy Birthday to Me

ASHANTI

We walked into the kitchen to see Lamonte and Ajax talking.

Trey was silent, waiting by the wall.

I went over to him and asked, "Are you ok?"

He eyed Lamonte angrily and asked, "What is he doing here?"

"Hey, calm down. Ajax is Lamonte's brother and they knew it was my birthday, so Ajax invited him. I had no idea that they were planning this and that they had invited him," I said holding his hands.

He was still staring at Lamonte with such hatred and I could understand how intimidating this must be for him.

I would feel the same way if I was in his position.

He was clenching his jaw so hard I thought his teeth were gonna crack.

I placed a hand on his cheek and I made him face me.

"I'm here with you and he's not going to get between us. I choose you," I reassured him.

But he already had gotten between us.

If I had resisted the urge that night, I wouldn't have been in this position now.

I just wish that I could forget about him and move on with my life, but now I had a baby to think about and I never stopped loving him to begin with.

I was so selfish moving on when I wasn't fully over it and now I have dragged Trey into this.

At first, it was because I wanted Lamonte to hurt the way that he hurt me, but it wasn't right.

I got to know Trey this past month and even before that in Seattle, he is such a kindhearted person and I can't stand the fact of how much this would hurt him.

I like him and I knew that I would have a happy life with him if Lamonte weren't a factor.

Lamonte had ruined me for anyone else, leaving me to compare where there was no comparison.

He broke me over and over again and yet here I am.

I still love him even though I've tried to move on, but I would never give him the satisfaction of knowing that.

I will try my best to move on even if I am having his baby.

"I trust you," Trey whispered as he captured my lips making me lose my breath.

I smiled at him and I could see the scowl all over Lamonte's face when I broke the kiss.

Lamonte excused himself and walked out of the room.

After a while he came back, but he did not look calm. Nobody dwelled on it and they joined in on singing the "Happy Birthday" song.

I rolled my eyes cause it was so corny, but it still put a smile on my face.

We all ate cake and participated in conversation.

"So Trey, what do you do?," Lamonte asked.

"I'm a chef," he answered.