21. The Event Part 1

LAMONTE

I missed the sight of her in bed.

Her curls spread out on my pillow and her body tangled with mine.

I wanted to stay like this forever.

I went to the bathroom and cleaned up my attire.

I had let myself go and when Ashanti wakes up, I want her to see the man that she fell in love with.

It took me 30 minutes to clean up my appearance but I made it work.

When I went to go check on her in the room, she was still asleep as peacefully as I had left her.

I went downstairs to the kitchen and I decided to make her breakfast in bed.

I made her pancakes, eggs, and bacon. I also made her a glass of hot chocolate with marshmallows, just the way she liked it.

I went to the bedroom and she was starting to stir awake. Her beautiful brown eyes met mine and she whispered good morning in her groggy voice.

I sat next to her and put the tray in her lap when she turned over.

She smiled and asked, "This is all for me?"
I nodded my head as I stared at her.

There was a blank look on her face, but it quickly went away as she began to eat.

"There is a charity event that I have to attend tonight. I'm the guest of honor so I have to go and I was wondering if you'd be my date," I asked shyly.

She looked at me with a blank expression and I thought she was going to say no but to my surprise, she said yes.

I took a breath of relief and my lips met hers once again.

These last few months had been complete hell without her.

I couldn't do anything without thinking about her. Day after day, I was in the office shutting away everyone and doing work that didn't even need to be finished.

Now that I have her here again, I'm never doing anything to jeopardize us again.

Ashanti finished her food and put the trays aside.

I found my way in between her legs as I began to kiss her face over and over again.

I couldn't help but enter her again until we were all out of energy, sprawled across the bed.

ASHANTI

I couldn't deny that being back with Lamonte felt good, better than good.

I felt alive again, but I couldn't help the nagging feeling in my the back of my head. I was doing so good without him and now that I'm back in his life, I have the feeling he's going to break my heart again.

Maybe even rip it out of my chest this time.

I came here to help him move on, not fall back in love with him.

I have to admit, he seemed more open to me and seems willing for a more serious relationship.

That's all I ever wanted from him.

Maybe I'm just overreacting and we'll really work this time. Everything might turn out good, I just have to push that feeling down.

"What are you thinking about?," he asked softly.

"Nothing," I lie as I curl up into his arms and plant a kiss on his lips.