Begin

"You want me to be WHAT?!"

I blink twice at Mr. Choi before my eyes widen twice their size.

"I know it sounds unconventional but please try to understand..."

"You're asking me to be a concubine."

The word seems to stun him but the lawyer schools his features. "Not exactly. There would be no other women. Just you and only you."

I should have known this was all too good to be true when I answered the job announcement just a week ago. The details were vague but I expected it was just another foreign teaching program. Tons of people had taken up contracts in South Korea to teach English. The pay was amazing and it was just what I needed to get away from my shitty home life, pay off some debts, and start over somewhere new. Plus I had always wanted to travel; I just didn't have the funds to do so.

However, this job announcement was different from the many I had applied and been rejected. It seemed like a more private, homeschooling situation for a wealthy, elusive family; foreigners were especially encouraged to apply. And there were other requirements that led me to believe that I would be more like a nanny. No problem. I had been cooking and caring for my younger siblings since before I could read. Now I could actually get paid for it. So when I filled out the detailed questionnaire about my love life, personal goals, and preferences, I figured it was to protect the family's interests and ensure they weren't inviting a total psycho into their home.

Boy, was I wrong.

"The contract would only be for a year," Mr. Choi continues. "And you won't be expected to do anything you don't want to do. You aren't their property."

"I'd just be their girlfriend."

"In essence...yes."

I glare daggers at the smartly dressed attorney, my eyes narrowed. He wants me to be the girlfriend to a group of grown, successful men whom I don't even know. Live with them. Open my heart to them. And if the mood hits, open my legs to them...? It doesn't make sense.

"What's wrong with them?"

Mr. Choi looks taken aback. "Excuse me?"

"They're wealthy, successful...why can't they find girlfriends on their own? I mean, even if they're not conventionally handsome, I'm sure—"

"They're all extremely handsome. Some would argue the most handsome in the country, if not the world."

I shoot him a disbelieving look. Ok, rich, gorgeous men who can't find their own dates? Yeah, right.

Mr. Choi picks up on my dubiousness. "And it's not that they can't find their own girlfriends, it's just incredibly difficult...given their status."

"Status?"

"They're very well known. Their lives are extremely busy. They don't have time to date traditionally or entertain thoughts of a real relationship. But they do crave intimacy and female companionship. That's where you'd come in."

"And just how...intimate...am I expected to get with them?" I scrunch up my nose reflexively, and for the first time since I met him, Mr. Choi's stoic expression softens.

"Dating in South Korea is very different than dating in the US. We aren't as...free with our bodies here. You don't have to worry. The guys are very respectful and come from good families. This experience is more about them learning how to interact with a woman and helping to ease their loneliness."

It kinda makes sense, I guess. And if they are as accomplished as Mr. Choi says, I can understand why they'd want to avoid any scandals. But still...