Boy Meets Evil

"So guys...we're so glad to have you here at the station today to talk about the new album. The song...it's just incredible. And as usual, the music video is phenomenal and has broken the YouTube record for the most views in 24 hours. And we all know who held the record before, right? You! So, pretty much, you're just competing against yourselves at this point. What's it been like for BTS these days?"

"Well, honestly, very busy. But we love it," Namjoon answers eloquently. "We love what we do and we love that we're able to see so many ARMYs around the world. We just want to keep working hard for them and putting out music that touches and inspires them."

"That's great, man. Speaking of your fandom, we've heard that they're stoked about the new concept and the more mature approach with your look and your music. Is there a certain inspiration behind it? I don't know, like...girlfriends?"

Namjoon laughs, but it's totally fake. "Ah, no girlfriends, unfortunately. Our world tour just ended a few months ago and we jumped right back into recording, so finding time to date is incredibly hard."

"Well, I know there are tons of fans who would love to fill that position, and some of them have been dying to talk to you. We've got our first caller on the line now—Dana from Pasadena. Dana? You there?"

"Yes! I'm here!" an excited female voice sounds.

"Hi Dana!" they all say in unison.

"Ahhh! Oh my god. Ok, I love all of you but this question is for...Jimin? Hi Jimin!"

Jimin steps up to one of the shared mics that they're all crowded around. "Hi, Dana!"

"I love your solo song Promise and I was wondering if you'd be composing another song in the future? Maybe even a mixtape like the rap line members?"

Namjoon begins to translate, and I have to stifle a laugh. I don't know why they continue the ruse of not understanding or being able to speak English. Maybe to make them a little less accessible? Or maybe they aren't as confident to speak it in public. With me, they're perfect, even when they stumble over pronunciation. But I always know what they mean and praise their efforts. Maybe I really am their English tutor.

"Oh..." Jimin begins. "Making songs is very difficult. But I will keep working hard in the future. Thank you!"

"Thank you, Jimin! I love you!"

The DJ redirects to another caller, this one for Jungkook.

"Hi, Jungkook! You said you've been studying English these days. Can you say something for all the American ARMY that love you so much?"

JK steps up to the mic, a nervous bunny grin stretched across his mouth. "Uh, hi! Thank you for giving us so much support and love. We will never forget this. We love you."

The girl swoons on the other line, complete with unintelligible squeals. I'm sure that's the case with all the other listeners too.

The interview drones on like most others. Questions about their favorite things to do and see in the states, their favorite American foods, and artists they'd like to collab with. And of course, the dreaded dating question. But all of the interviewers have been respectful enough to keep things vague.

Except for this one.

"Lately there's been a lot of rumors swirling about you guys being spotted around town with women, well, one mystery woman, to be exact. First, it was...I think...Jungkook? And then a picture surfaced of her with RM. Can you tell us who she is? I know the world is dying to know."

That...was not part of the script.

Namjoon opens and closes his mouth, obviously flustered and caught off guard by the inappropriate inquiry. I know I should turn away; I'm watching from the other side of the glass, and if that DJ looks up and puts two and two together, we're in trouble.