IDOL

I seriously want to smack myself upside the head.

"What? How?" His hand is still outstretched, and I quickly give it a shake. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. It was nice just being Jae for a while."

"I swear, I'm not this clueless most of the time."

"It's not your fault. I probably should have been more forthcoming. But it was nice to meet someone who didn't know who I was for a change, or who didn't want a picture or an autograph. It's great—don't get me wrong. I love our fans but it can get..."

"Exhausting," I finish for him.

He nods. "Yeah. Absolutely. Exhausting."

"But when we met, you didn't have security or managers with you. Isn't that unsafe?"

He shrugs. "I kinda snuck out." Then he presses his finger to his lips. "Shhhh, don't tell anyone."

I wink playfully. "Your secret is safe with me."

Jae—or Jaehyun—looks back towards one of the private sections clustered with couches. Several guys are looking in our direction.

"Um, uh...do you want a drink? I mean, unless you still need face cleanser recommendations. I say, just go with both. Earlier this year, there were a dozen articles posted on Naver about my abs. They kinda owe me."

I giggle and shake my head. "Actually, a drink sounds good."

I know, I know.

This probably looks terrible. But Jae seems like a cool, respectful guy, and honestly, it's nice to just talk to someone at this party who isn't gossiping or trying to spy on people. Plus, being with Jae seems to dissuade all the predatory looks I'd been receiving since I arrived. I tried to ignore them but it seemed like every time I turned around, some rando was looking at me like he wanted to take a bite out of my ass.

Jae is a perfect gentleman. He asks me what I'd like to drink and doesn't leave my side. He even introduces me to his group members, and they are honestly so adorable, I can't help but inwardly swoon. Most of them seem more youthful than BTS but Jae is very mature. When he asks my age, I find that I'm right.

"So you were born in 1995?" he asks.

I nod. "You?"

"1997. So...should I call you noona or...?"

I shake my head. That name is only reserved for one man, even if he never calls me that again.

"No. Violet is fine."

"Ah, so you're the one he hasn't been able to shut up about," one of his group members says as he approaches. He, too, speaks impeccable English without any hint of an accent.

"Violet, this is Mark."

We shake and I smile. Mark is so cute, he instantly gives me a little brother vibe. And the way he totally put Jae on blast just drives that point home. I pretend not to notice Jae's reddening cheeks though.

I chat with all of them and find out that despite being a Korean band, they're quite diverse, which I didn't realize was a thing. I guess many k-pop groups have members from different countries. I've only learned about BTS, yet I don't share that tidbit of info.

However, my secret doesn't stay safe for very long.

"Violet, there you are!" Mimi strides up looking star struck as she takes in the scene before her. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"Oh yeah, sorry..."

"It's my fault," Jae chimes in, extending a hand. "Jaehyun."

A flustered Mimi bows and addresses him respectfully before giving his hand a shake.