you look so happy holding hands congratulations - n.m (long)

early PM days, you and nick used to date. you had just left a rehearsal space that they had been hiring out after you and you met nick and got along very well.

you were together for almost a year. you met before people even knew they were a band. and we're together for the first almost year of their career but then you broke up due to well. reasons you don't know.

you had a new boyfriend. you guys had been together for about 5-6 months and it was time he met your family. so your family decided to go on a vacation to hawaii, which was overdue and it gave time for connor to meet your parents.

you were half way through the vacation and had posted heaps of photos of you and connor and you and your family.. when you got a call from nick..

you look at your phone and then at connor, connor pauses "who is it babe?"

you look at connor "it's nick.."

connor looks at you "as in ex nick? boyband guy?"

you nod "yeah.. him."

"whys he calling?" connor looks at you

you shrug "i have no-" before you could finish you were cut off by connor "answer it"

you answer it "hello?"

"i see them pictures from your vacation.. you look so happy holding hands congratulations" nick says

you had a confused look on your face the whole time "thank you nick. but what's this about? we haven't talked in over a year.."

"and if it sound like my voice in shaking, it's cause i'm way up in the hills my signals breaking" he sighed

you look at connor "i'll be back con" you stand up and walk to your bedroom at the airbnb y'all were staying out.

you sighed "nick.."

nick sighed "it's still raw y/n. it seems like you've just moved on like that. like the click of a finger"

you sighed "i haven't. i didn't. i was heartbroken. connor was there. he's just meeting my family. it's-"

nick cut you off. his voice breaking again "it was our thing. it was. i got along so well with your family..."

you sighed "you did. but con does to-" you cut yourself off "for the most part.."

nick pauses. he then continued "for the most part?"

you nod "yeah. he doesn't get along with tristan very well.."

nick nods "bet that didn't sit well with your pops huh"

you sighed "nope. he gets along with mom but that's all"

nick sighed "if you're not really happy then why are you with him?"

you freeze "who said i'm not happy?"

nick sighed "i can tell in your voice y/n."

you sighed "it's.. i'm. nick. stop.."

nick sighed "but you're hurting"

i sighed "i'm. it's just. you're."

nick sighed "your idiot ex boyfriend?"

you sighed "no i didn't-"

nick cut you off "look y/n. i love you. and i miss you so much. it hurts me to see you with him like it was so easy to just move on. i miss you."

you sighed "nick.. i love you too. but i can't just up and leave connor like that"

nick nods "i know... i don't expect you too. it's been almost a year and that's all my fault but i've tried to move on and i just can't. none of it felt right"

you sighed and looked at connor "not as right as what we did"

nick nods "exactly"

you sighed "i should go and talk to him. i'll call you later"

you walk back inside and over to connor. of course your whole family was listening.

you sighed "nick made me realise that.. that i moved on too fast with you. i might of just. i don't know. i might of used you and i'm so sorry for that. i know it's pathetic but i love him. and the fact you can't get along with 90% my family is a big no..."

connor nods "i get it. family has always came first for you. i don't get along with them but he does. its okay"

you look at connor "yeah? are you sure?"

connor nods "yes y/n. just didn't seem the same?"

you nod "exactly "

connor nods "i've been through it before. i'll leave in the morning. i wish you and nick the best! keep in touch though yeah?"

you nod and smiled softly

you said goodbye to connor in the morning to then call nick up and ask him to come to hawaii to be with y'all for the last 4 days left.

he flew in as connor left. it was weird. but. you knew you were doing the right thing by you at the end of it.. nick had your heart. and as much as you tried, there was obviously no avoiding it. it's all for the best!