Chapter 18 - Back Again

I sat in the ambulance. A nurse fussed over me, inserting drips and making sure my breathings pure. I kept my eyes fixed on the house. It's been approxemently 4.23 minutes since I was hauled out. Hiccups still in there somewhere. The fires still going, but it's smaller than before. The smoke is blacker and infects the air more. There's a hunky silhouette in the doorway and two men pass out, holding Hiccup. I go to get up, but a paramedic stops me. "I need to see him!" I plead.

"No Astrid, it's too risky for the baby" says the paramedic.

She grabs me back as Hiccup is placed on the ambulance bed. They clean off his face and place a mask over his head. He has a big ugly 3degree burn across his face and his leg is down to the bone. I cant look and I turn my head away. It smells of burning flesh and charcoal. His eyes open and he splutters in the oxygen. He grasps my hand and I squeeze his tight. "Your gonna be fine Baby" I say kissing his forehead.

He nods and his eyes fall closed.

***2 hours later/ the hospital***

"I've been waiting out here for two fucking hours! Tell me if he's ok!!" I yell at the nurse.

"He'll be out of the operation in 4 minutes Ma'am" she replies, calming me. I take my seat and sit texting Ruff. Dr. Chivago comes out and walks to me. "Hiccups ok, you can see him now" she says.

I sigh in relief and stand. "Though... He may be kind of... different" she says.

I nod conspicuously and walk down the hall. I enter Hiccups room and smile at him. He smiles back at me. "You ok?" I ask sitting beside him.

He sighs and pulls up his blanket. Where his left leg is meant to be, there's a stump, wrapped in bandages. I gasp and bring my hands to my mouth. He then unwraps the bandage around his face and shows the large scar that reaches from the right corner of his mouth to his left eyebrow. It's still fleshy and I look away, feeling myself gag. "It won't change anything Hiccup" I say, after he's bandaged it back up. "So, it's a girl?" He smiles.

"Yeah, I've been thinking of names" I say.

"So what have you got?" He sits up.

"Well I was thinking, along the lines of Aylia Novella" I reply.

He smiles "Well what about Lil'Astrid?"

"I don't want to name our daughter after me...and if we have a son not after you!" I laugh.

"Well, think about some more, I like Lil'Astrid" he says.

I laugh but then become serious. "So when can you come home?"

"Three Months..." He replies.