Chapter 3 - Taken

Copyright © 2014

"What's wrong?" Asks Hiccup. I stretch out my arm to turn on the baby monitor. "I just..." I sigh "I have a bad feeling that someone's followed us home" I release.

"It's just new parent nerves... I have them too" he says, his words reassuring me.

"Yeah, probably" I say.

I switch off the lamp and snuggle under the covers. About 5 minutes pass and slam comes from downstairs, loud in the baby monitor. "Hiccup..." I say, darting my head up. He nods and places a finger up to his lips, clambering out of bed quietly. "I locked the windows and doors" I whisper.

He reaches under the bed and pulls out a cricket bat. We always keep one, just incase. I tread carefully behind him, down the stairs. When were down, the front door is wide open, marks on the side look like someone's wrenched it open. Hiccup slowly approaches the door as I tread to Aylias room. The door is open, my stomach drops. I rush in and push the door open. Her crib is empty and the windows open. I scream in horror and Hiccup rushes in. He sees the crib and drops the bat. His eyes well up and he places his head in his hands. "No!!" He yells.

I drop to the floor in tears "No...please...." I cry.

The last thing I hear is Hiccup phoning the police, but then everything goes quiet, and I begin to panic.