Chapter 22 - Unfelt

Copyright ©

I realise I've only been out for about 30 seconds when I wake. A nurse say above me, making sure I awakened. I scramble up and rush into the ICU. Please just be another nightmare, another cruel dream... Nurses stand my the crib. Valkyrie and Asher have been moved. They part so I can get to Poppy. She lays there, her green eyes focused on the ceiling. I splutter on tears as I wrap my arms around her and lift her up. I cradle her with one arm, whilst closing her eyes with my two fingers. "Goodnight baby girl..." I breathe.
"Will someone tell me what the fuck is go-" Hiccup pauses when he sees Poppy.
His eyes well up and he drops to his knees. "No - this can't be happening" he whispers, running his hands thorough his hair.
I ignore him and place a kiss on Poppy's forehead before the nurse grabs her away. Hot tears stream down my face and I begin to feel the numbing pain grow stronger. I see Hiccup approach me and open his arms towards me. I shake my head and push past him, out of the ICU, back to my room. I curl up in my bed and sob.

**Hiccups POV**
Astrid fell unconscious for about 30 seconds. When she woke up she ran straight back into the ICU. I scrambled up after her and followed her in. I saw Astrid holding a baby, nurses all around, her back to me. Silent sobs racked through her body. "Will someone tell me what the fuck is go-" my eyes rest on Poppy, lying asleep eternally in Astrids arms.
I drop to me knees, pain washing through me. "No - this can't be happening" I whisper.
I bring a hand through my hair in stress. Astrid kisses Poppy goodbye, then a nurse snatches her away. She turns to see me and I stand, opening my arms for a hug. She just shakes her head and pushes past me in tears, darting down the hallway. I blink away hot tears that form in my eyes and pick up Asher and Valkyrie. "It's going to be OK" I whisper, more to myself than them.
I slowly make my way down the hall, the twins on my hips. When I enter Astrids room, she's crying, curled up on her bed. "A-Astrid" I choke out.
She looks up at me her eyes skipping from Asher to Valkyrie. She reaches for Asher, pulling him close and huddling him. "We'll be OK" I state.
She looks back up at me, anger crossing her expression. "How the hell are we going to me OK? We lost a child, and we could loose Ash or Val any day, and Aylia... How can you say that!" She begins yelling.
I put my head down and turn my back to her. "Okay Astrid...".