Chapter 2 - The Waking

Copyright ©

Ive made the decision, not to answer your calls, because I put everything out there and I got nothing at all... ~ Sam Smith

***Valkyries POV***
I awake in the morning to find myself asleep next to Lia. I yawn and stretch my arm high in the air. The smell of grilled tomatoes wafts past my nose and I hungrily plod down the stairs. I find Asher in the kitchen, cooking a large breakfast of: Bacon, Eggs, Grilled Tomatoes and Garlic Mushrooms. "Need any help?" I ask quietly.
He hands me a tomato "Slices if you could?" He says.
The atmosphere is dull and blue, happiness stirred away by the never ending sadness. I pick up the plump tomato and grab a knife after setting it down. In my hand I hold the knife, bringing it down on the tomato, but it just slides away. The stump of my left arm hangs uselessly in the air and I sigh in frustration. I reposition the tomato and again, try to slice it, but the tomato just slides away. I feel an arm around me and I turn. Aylia smiles at me and takes the knife. I sigh and sit down at the table, using my hand to support my chin. I huff silently, drowning in my own disappointment. I take a magazine from the middle of the table and flip through the pages. There's an article about healthy eating, murderous father, how I went from 6 to 2 sizes in four weeks! My mind bores at the commercialised content. Though one catches my eye - 'Fourteen year old quadriplegic learns to walk again'. I stare at my arm and wonder: If my parents had made the decision to keep my arm, could I have learnt to work it again? I feel a lump in my throat as words flood my mind, they didn't even give me a chance! Asher sets down the breakfast on the table and site beside me, joined by Aylia. No one dares to speak of yesterday's happenings, though the atmosphere sets a glum presence around us. Breakfast is eaten in silence, dad isn't about and no-one knows the whereabouts of Tianna. Asher rumoured that she left dad, but was cut off by Aylia telling him 'that's absurd'. After breakfast I help with dishes. Dad walks slowly down the hallway. His skin is sickly and his eyes dark, it's clear he's had no sleep. "Dad." Asher acknowledges his presence. Dad just stares at Asher before slumping down on the couch in front if the TV. I finish drying the last dish and run upstairs. I pull on a pair of light-blue shorts and a grey tank-top. I quickly brush my hair and hurry back downstairs. I pull on my air-maxes at the door and grab a jacket. "Where are you going?" Asks Aylia sharply.
"To see mum" I reply slowly.
Aylia looks away "Mum is gone..."
Anger rushes through me and I glare at her "We don't know that! Maybe she's awake right now! How could you give up so easily? She's our mother!" My voice strengthens in anger.
Aylias eyes glisten with tears "I made myself believe it would be easier to let her go, easier than believing she would ever wake up".

***Unknown POV***
I awaken slowly, though my eyelids are unable to lift open. I feel the movement in the tips of my toes first, then fingers. I flex my hands and feel the blood alive in my veins, surging through my body, lifting me into life. I hear muffled voices around me, speaking, but I'm unable to take in the words. I slowly feel the liveliness surge into my ears and face, the words coming into recognition. "She's waking, get Dr. Gordon!" A female yells beside me.
I suddenly pull open my eyes and dart into a sitting position. My hear thumps loudly and my breath quickens. The nurse beside me jumps back, startled by my sudden rise. I feel my lungs contract and fill with each breath. It feels like I've been held underwater for too long, then finally allowed to gulp in the air of living. "What... W-what happened?" I ask.
The nurse looks at me in shock "Do you remember anything?" She asks.
I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to remember my life before this moment. A lock of messy copper-brown hair comes into view, shaping a square, strong structured face, housing a pair of green, jade eyes, Hiccup. Three more smiling faces come into view. Aylia... Valkyrie and Asher. My past life suddenly comes flooding back to me. "Astrid?" Asks the nurse.
I blink my eyes open "I was shot..." I say.
The nurse nods slowly. "Are the babies OK? Wheres Aylia, my children?" I ask.
"Astrid, their not kids anymore... You've been out for 15 years..." The nurse says grimly.
It takes me a moment to take in the information, then it hits me. I missed my children growing up... I missed life with my husband, I missed my life. Tears flood down my face and fall onto my lap.
"Where are they?" I ask shakily.
The nurse shakes her head "Two days ago they confirmed your life support to be turned off, yesterday the office building burnt down, the files were lost within it. Astrid, there is no filed history of your family anywhere, you're on your own..." She finishes.
I'm all alone, no life, no kids, no Hiccup....

HEY!
OMGIZZLE! We reached 20K VEIWS, now 21K!!!
AHHHHH Thankyouhhh so much!
I love every single 21.46K of you!
Hope you enjoying da story! OMFG ASTRIDS AWAKE!
ILY all of ya'z!
Til next time bæś
Xoxo Butterflybunnie 💟