Chapter 4 - Magda Hamilton

Copyright © 2014

"Chad Beninghamm, FBI" he holds up his license.

Hiccup greets him worriedly and leads him to the scene. I watch from a distance. I pull out my phone and dial Ruffs number. She picks up in a sleepy, annoyed tone; "Astrid, it's like 2:47am in th-"

"Aylias gone" I begin sobbing.

"W-w-what do you mean?" Her voice unsteady.

"Someone's taken her, from her crib" I reply.

"God Astrid! What can I do?"

"No, we have the FBI here and police..."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes...I'm-" I sob again.

"Astrid I'm coming round, stay put, love you" she says.

"Yeah, love you too" I cry back.

She hangs up and I wipe my eyes and place my phone in my pocket. Our neighbour Magda Hamilton exits her hours due to the commotion. Her appearance isn't a sight to see (picture). Her hair is thinned and her eyes red and sagged. She's thin and bony, I've always thought of her as a witch. She glares at me, evilly. She's one of those people who don't have any filter, any shame. Most wouldn't stare to be polite or glance for a while then look away. But no...she'll just keep starring at you, she doesn't care. She sees he police and the picture of Aylia that Hiccup and I had spread around the street. She smiles her rotting teeth and laughs "Baby baby baby baby baby" she continues to repeat in a teasing tone.

She then smiles again and points into her house, then brings a finger to her lips "Shhhh, the baby's sleeping" she sneers.

She's got my baby...

I run at her and start screaming "Give her back you witch!!" I tackle her.

She lets out a laugh and clambers away. Hiccup and Chad come running. Hiccup pulls me up and holds me at arms length "WHAT THE HELL ASTRID!" He yells.

"She.....s-she has...Aylia!" I sob.

Chad looks at Magda and she shakes her head. "I only came out from the commotion, then Astrid just...tackled me" says Magda, her voice is croaky and sinister.

"Please excuse us Mrs Hamilton, sorry for the interruption" says Chad.

Magda nods and leaves into her house. I see her watching from the window, she smiles and waves at me.

888TIME SKIP888

It's been 2 days since Aylias been missing. I haven't been able to live with myself... The FBI filled a missing person report, but it's been more than 24 hours, so she's probably dead. They told us 'Were going to continue the search, 24 hours is the....'deadline' to bring a child back alive. Though they may still be alive after, just the chance isn't big'. Hiccup enters Aylias room, were I sit, holding her favourite toy. I sob into my hands and feel his arms around me. "How the hell could I have been so careless!" I say.

"Astrid, we were good parents, no one knew this was going to happen" he says.

"So you think our daughters dead then..." I say, slight anger in my voice.

"What makes you think that?"

"You said were...past tense" I stand.

"Astrid it's been more than 24 hours so I thi-" he begins.

"HOW COULD YOU JUST GIVE UP LIKE THAT!" I'm furious "OUR DAUGHTERS OUT THERE!... She's not dead...she's strong...I know"

Hiccup sighs and leaves. He hasn't argued with me lately, he just knows to leave it. That's why I love him. I continue to watch Magda's house. I've been watching it ever since, I'm sure she has Aylia...it's just a mothers instinct.