2. Troubled Waters

How long can you stay uncomfortable?
And how long can you stand out in the cold?
And baby, when you decide that he just ain't right
I need to know, I need to know
Baby, your skin like porcelain
Like ocean waves, your mind's amazing, oh
Can I be your everything?
When we still cloudy, up your patience
You can't keep wasting
All your days on wondering
Why he just don't get it
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
2 Months Later

It's been 2 months since the night my life took a turn for the worst. Terrell has only made things harder for me. I'm too scared to even attempt to leave him. He brings home a new bitch every night, leaving me there in shame and embarrassment. He only mistreats me and I'm sick of it.

I haven't told anyone about the abuse, because I'm honestly scared. What if they take it to the police, and then they put him on trial and he comes out not guilty and- Shut up you're not helping!

As I walked through the mall, I couldn't help but notice the countless eyes that burned several holes into my exterior. Well why do you think that is? You're wearing sunglasses in an enclosed space, even though it's cold as hell outside and there is literally NO sun anywhere. Don't you think I understand that?

I spotted a face that stuck out like a sore thumb from all the other people who passed by and I squinted my eyes in attempts to pinpoint who it was and where I knew them from. He was a sight to see, no lie. Nice skin, perfect lips, pretty smile- Wait a minute, is that Chris?!

He didn't notice me or recognize me due to the eyewear I chose to wear on that cool and gloomy October afternoon.

"Chris! Hey." I approached him waving. He scrunched up his face, furrowing his brows. It was as if he didn't remember who I was. Oh the sunglasses.

"Do you remember me? India Manory? You hit me with your chair and had to drive my home? From Pulse?" I gave him several clues as to my identity. He pondered for a second before his face lit up and he gave me that million dollar smile I admired so much. He chuckled and rubbed the nape of his neck, apologizing with his cuteness for not recognizing me.

"Cheating boyfriend right? Yeah, how did that go?" I swallowed a lump in my throat at the mention of that scandalous night. I looked everywhere, searching for an answer to his concern.

"We, uh, talked things out. I forgave him and we're still together." I told him the half-truth. This time he couldn't search my eyes for deceit because of the bulky black sunglasses that sat right above the bridge of my nose. When I looked at his face, however, I could still tell he didn't believe me.

"Y'all talked, huh?" He chuckled, almost scoffed. I rolled my eyes at his determination to find the lie in my half-truth.

"Yeah, we talked. He apologized and that was it." I shrugged as the two of us somehow began walk simultaneously to the food court. You're a horrible liar. Breaking news!

"Right. You know you're stupid, right?" He insulted me without even facing me. He just watched his surroundings intently with that blank expression I hate. Nooo, get angry at me. It's sexy as hell.

"Excuse me?" I snapped my head in his direction, almost breaking my neck. I scrunched up my face in disbelief to his insulting remarks.

He chuckled and shook his head. "I mean seriously. What girl gets back with her lying ass, cheating ass, no good ass, boyfriend after he gives her a dumbass apology for cheating for who know how long?" He spoke in a serious but also playful tone. I parted my lips to speak, but I had no words or no smart response to roll off if my tongue. He was right, but he doesn't know the truth. I chewed on my lip as he slid into the booth, sitting on the opposite side of me. His gaze was fixated on me as I saw him furrow his brows. He looked confused about something.