20. Same Sh*t

I dedicate, dedicate this to you
For every word, I ever said to you
All you ever wanted was a shoulder
You can hold on, oh yeah, oh yeah, girl
Ain't no other feeling better than you here, girl (you here, girl)
Got a nigga fucked up when I'm scrolling through your pictures
Wondering if I'm still on your mind
Tryna have this conversation with the love of my life
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Chris
"Chris you stay talking about this damn baby, when we gon' actually see her?" My momma complained while braiding my hair back. I've been going on and on for the past hour about Royalty. I can't help it, I love that little girl more than life itself.

I've never been scared of having kids, clearly. If I was, not wrapping up would be a sin to me. It's not though. In fact, I've always dreamed of starting family. At one point, I wanted one with India. The way things are isn't exactly what I meant, but I got my daughter and that's all that matters.

"When India's boyfriend quit being a bitch." I rolled my eyes and the thought of him.

She been telling me some of the stuff he does and it's honestly irritating. There's a different between looking out for your girl and completely treating her like a slave. She should still have freedom to do what she wants, as long as it respects their relationship.

"Watch your mouth, Chris." Even though my mom doesn't like when I cuss, she doesn't trip. All my songs say some slick shit so I'm guessing she's gotten accustomed to it. I'm grown, there's not much for her to do.

"Sorry, ma. I just really hate to think that she's not happy. Yeah, we ain't together. But that's the mother of my child, and still my best friend."

I winced a little as her nail scratched my scalp. Why do females feel the need to have them damn claws on?

"Well, to be honest. She seemed happiest with you." She spoke her truth, which can only be opinionated. I was happiest with India too. Always wanted to be under her, space wasn't even a word when it came to us.

"All good things come to an end." I stood up, groaning a little since she had me sitting on her hardwood floor. What's up with women doing that? Like can I get a chair or some shit?

"In your case, it won't ever come to an end." I turned around to face her. Of course, I had to look down to her because of the contrast of my 6'2" body and her 5'7" one.

"It already did. We're not together anymore."

"You still love her right? You didn't do anything to hurt her. Your downfall was just a simple misunderstanding and an element of lack of communication. A mistake made is a lesson learned." She turned around and opened the lid on a pot that was simmering on the stove. Steam wafted into the air and I caught a whiff of whatever she was cooking.

I haven't eaten much today. My breakfast consisted of a bagel from Panera and coffee. Not how a grown man should eat.

"She has a boyfriend, ma."

I'm honestly sick of having to admit that, but there ain't shit to do about it.

"And y'all have a child together. Now I don't condone cheating, I don't think it's right. But if you believe that y'all should be together, then get your girl back before it's too late." She opened the oven and took out what seemed to be bread. The garlicky aroma made my stomach growl, but I had to brush off my hunger.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked her to clarify her advice.

"There's no real way for me to simplify it. Go get your girl, Christopher." She took off her oven mitts and rested her hands on her hips.