32. Don't Be Gone Too Long

When you're, when you're gone
When you're gone
Golden leaves are dancing on the ground
It's getting cold, cold
Safe from time, will be forever young
Never old, old
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Blessing
After knocking on Chris's door for the fifteen hundredth time, I decided to just break in. I took the spare key from under the welcome mat and entered it into the keyhole, turning and opening the door. I closed the door behind me and stormed up the stairs.

"Chris!" I called after him, looking around. Gaining no response, I decided to head for his bedroom. Just as I thought, he was in there knocked out cold. Clothes were scattered all over the floor and it smelt like pure must. I took one of his shoes and threw it at his head, causing him to jerk up.

"What the fuck bro!" Chris yelled at me in a groggy voice.

"Get your sorry ass up!" I clapped my hands.

"Leave me alone, Blessing." He rolled over and threw the covers over his head. I snatched the covers off of him, causing him to kiss his teeth. He snatched it back from me, causing us to start a game of tug-a-war. Of course, I won seeing that he fell out of bed.

"See, now you're halfway there." I threw the blanket back on the bed. Chris just lied on the floor, motionless. I sighed and offered my hand to help him up. Hesitantly, he took it and stood to his feet.

"You need to clean up. It smells like condensed ass in here." I motioned to the mess that he called his bedroom.

"My wife is fucking dead and you sitting up here worried about cleanliness? Fuck outta here, Blessing." He waved me off and stumbled to the living room. I didn't hesitate to follow him.

"It's been several months Chris, almost a year now. I understand that you're still hurting, but you still have priorities. Your daughter, for example? Now I love my niece, but I'm sick of having to watch her every other week because your ass isn't being a strong father for her." I pointed in his face.

"I can't do this by myself! It's fucking hard!" He raised his voice at me.

"Nobody says you have to, Chris. You have an entire family here for you. Get the fucking crust out of your eyes and maybe you can see that." Chris just ignored me and took a pack of cigarettes out of his sweatpants pocket. He brought it to his lips and began to light it up. Ew, cancer.

"And this shit," I snatched the cigarette from him and put it out. "It needs to stop. You're killing yourself." He huffed and slumped down on the couch.

"Is that really a bad thing?" He muttered.

"God, you sound ridiculous. No, it's not a good thing! You have a child to take care of Chris. You need to get out of your fucking feelings, and step up!" I continued to scold him.

"How are you just okay with all of this? Are you not hurting over your sister too? Like I really want to know why you're perfectly fine and I'm not." He furrowed his brows and talked with his hands.

"Who says I'm not hurting, Christopher? I think about my baby sister every fucking day! The difference between me and you is I don't sit on my ass and sleep and cry all day. I think positive, and you should too." I took a seat next to him, crossing my legs.

"How do I think positive about death?" He pondered on my statement.

"Don't think bad about what you lost. Appreciate what you have. Cherish your daughter, Chris. She needs a father." I placed a hand on his shoulder, softening my tone.