38. Yellow Tape

Two feet off the ground
Why am I living here?
Up and down, up and down
I think i'ma drown in my tears
I cry cause my fate is sold
Too many tears
I'm thinking bout ending here
Wanna forget, Russian roulette with the pistol
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
India
"So when do I get my phone call?" I cut my eyes at the officer as I sat in the cold chair at the metal table.

"You can when we're done," I slumped back in my chair knowing that would be a while. "So tell me, what were you doing on Sunday afternoon on April 17?"

"Shit, I don't know to be honest. Either I was getting beat the fuck up or having sex against my will. I don't think we should go too deep into that though." I chuckled slightly while shrugging. The officer looked at me perplexed and wrote something down.

"Your boyfriend, Chris. Is he the one that.." He motioned for me to answer his question.

"Is this about the '09 shit? Let it the fuck go. No, he didn't hit me." I rolled my eyes and scoffed at his attempts to accuse history of repeating itself.

"Well, you said somebody was beating and raping you. I can turn the odds in your favor. Unless it was premeditated." He took a pause before darkening his tone:

"It wasn't." I shook my head.

"Then why did you do it?" He leaned in and hit his hand on the table.

"I have the right to remain silent. Anything I say can or will be used against me when testifying in the court of law." I put emphasis on the last few words.

"Okay. I'm guessing you want a lawyer?"

"Wow. You don't say." I said sarcastically. The officer rolled his eyes before jotting a few more notes.

"Make your damn phone call." He motioned to the phone in the corner before leaving the room. I stood up and picked the telephone up, dialing the first number that came to mind.

"Hello?" A feminine voice rang in my ear.

"Karin, I need your help."
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Chris
"Arrested her? Fuck you mean they arrested her? Them niggas didn't even know she was alive!" August huffed and leaned back on the couch of Blessing's house.

"They came in on some bullshit saying that she murdered somebody."

"Who did she supposedly murder?" Blessing asked, bringing me another glass of water. I took it from her and took a sip before continuing.

"They said it was her exes. Terrell Clay and Jaiden Johnson. That's kind of impossible thought considering the fact that both of them stay out here in New York and India was locked away in LA for a year." I scratched my stubbled jaw and tugged slightly on the beard that I had growing in. I need to shave, I ain't cute no more.

"Well, how do we know she was out in LA?" Trey suggested.

"You're telling me she was in NY the entire time? If that was the case we would've seen her at least once."

"Yeah, because a kidnapper finna let her just crip walk through the streets of Queens." August scoffed and shook his head. Crip? Do I look-

"Anyways, Chris. What did she look like when she showed up at your doorstep?" Liv asked me. I recounted on the stains on her shirt and hands. The way the blood ran down the drain as I cleansed my hands of her mess. The way the water turned red as she soaked in the bathtub.